Dug up a bit of Grand Rapids, Mi. history…and

BuscaPlata

Forum Supporter
I like tokens a lot and have found quite a few of them in my life of Md'ing since the mid 80's. but this one is a very special token to me because, this part of Michigan is where I've lived for 54 years. This Campau Centennial token is actually my second, first one is without the hole but not in as good a shape as this one, the detail on this one is superb, love this thing. As you can tell by the pic's the tail side of this thing is amazing. THE BEGINNING OF GRAND RAPIDS MICH.
Louis (August 11, 1791 – April 13, 1871), was an important figure in the early settlement of Saginaw and Grand Rapids cities in which he had established trading posts. Sophie de Marsac Campau (1807-1869)

Wondering if any other Michiganders out there found any of these? I found this one yesterday.
Today I went out for a couple hours hunt at the hunted out park and second hole I popped out a very small round silvery looking thing that I almost left in the hole cause couldn't find the darn thing,
first thing I thought was Oh my God!!! I just found another Trime!!!!, took a closer look at it and said wait a minute, this thing looks weird...my eyesight ain't that great anyway so stuck it in my pocket and kept on the hunt, my mind going.... I wonder if it's a Canadian fish scale like GStout76 was talking about, I have no idea what they look like so just wondering. So I hunted for an hour or so and finally the mosquitoes got the better of me and ran me out of the park, When I got home, got my magnifying glasses on and found out what it really was, It was a Grimland 10 cent play coin…….now even though this was a big disappointment,:( I googled this thing and turns out it was toy money made in Germany for a tin toy cash box labeled Kasse and Germany year 1940,50’s. not too bad of a find after all. :yes: HH

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 633
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Great hunt - that token is fantastic! Awesome that you've actually got two for your collection now, and pretty neat that you've got one each with and without holes - kind of illustrates how they were historically either collected or worn, depending on the owner.

And I feel your initial pain on the old play money - I got pranked just a couple weeks ago by "Uncle Sam" play money on one of my permissions. I just knew I had an old, foreign silver coin - even texted a picture to my wife, I was so excited. She takes great pleasure in asking "Find anymore play money?" every time I get back from a hunt now...:roll::laughing::laughing: Just like you, though, I quickly made my peace with the play coin - it's a neat bit of 1950s history/nostalgia with an easily researched and fun history of it's own!

Again, nice hunt!

We have hunted GR parks and tear outs for many years but never came across this token. Finding local history items is always exciting and that one is very cool.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear ya, I do love tokens and that one is awesome ! also have been fooled by those play money coins but at least it gets your heart going for a little while. HH Mark

Great hunt - that token is fantastic! Awesome that you've actually got two for your collection now, and pretty neat that you've got one each with and without holes - kind of illustrates how they were historically either collected or worn, depending on the owner.

And I feel your initial pain on the old play money - I got pranked just a couple weeks ago by "Uncle Sam" play money on one of my permissions. I just knew I had an old, foreign silver coin - even texted a picture to my wife, I was so excited. She takes great pleasure in asking "Find anymore play money?" every time I get back from a hunt now...:roll::laughing::laughing: Just like you, though, I quickly made my peace with the play coin - it's a neat bit of 1950s history/nostalgia with an easily researched and fun history of it's own!

Again, nice hunt!

Just read your thread:laughing: what a funny story....I'm gonna read it again,
Thanks AT

We have hunted GR parks and tear outs for many years but never came across this token. Finding local history items is always exciting and that one is very cool.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks T2s, there's gotta be more out there somewhere, hope you get your coil over one someday.

Very nice token. I have been over that way plundering a few of your lakes but haven't found a token like that. I also love Michigan tokens. I found an awesome one in Vandercook lake in Jackson.

I will be back once my little runabout is finished.

Congrats on a very nice piece of history!

Thanks Scuba, I appreciate it, and still waiting for you to start finding those small gold chains with the Nox, cause once you do, I'm ordering one, I can't take the heat, so me is getting in the water amigo.

Thanks Scuba, I appreciate it, and still waiting for you to start finding those small gold chains with the Nox, cause once you do, I'm ordering one, I can't take the heat, so me is getting in the water amigo.

So I need to be very very quiet and say there isn't any? I already think I know what my problem will be. If it finds small gold chains, it is going to find shotgun pellets, small foil and other junk. Where I am going to use it is a duck hunters paradise. If I keep digging up small lead it will be worthless. Another week should tell. Hopefully launching my boat tomorrow.

Congrats Busca on some very nice finds. Simply love the Grand Rapids Centennial piece. The story about the toy coin, that hit home as my eyes don't always focus properly any more. It's the real reason for my enlarged bold print. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom