• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal detector- time for a new one?

Dirk Diggler

I have a Whites quantum metal detector that is about 10-11 years old now. Has the technology changed enough in the last 10 years to warrant getting a new detector? I do quite well with my existing detector, but without another to compare it with I can't be for certain if I'm not passing over objects that newer technology might help me to hit. Also, I find a good number of large halfpence and large cent type coins, but dimes and smaller coins are a good bit fewer between. It would make sense that these are harder to get a good reading from, but I would also think that perhaps dimes and smaller coins are more plentiful given that they are easier to lose out of a pocket. I set my sensitivity up high and discrimination low- but I still don't seem to find any of the older, smaller coins. Would newer technology perhaps help me dig a few more of them? Thanks for any suggestions.

Ask 'Tony In CT'........he seems to know quite a bit concerning all different brands of detectors, what they can and can't do.

Although I feel there are better detectors out , if you're haviong fun with the Quantum then that's what matters most. It was not a very popular detector when new but it is still solid. If you want to pursue a new one let me know how I can help .

Hi Tony- thanks for your reply. I'm always having fun when I'm metal detecting, wether I find anything or not! I guess my main question concerns wether another machine would allow me to find smaller, deeper objects. I have a couple of old homesites that I metal detect that date back to the late 1700's. I find a fair number of the larger coins- but I don't seem to pick up any older dimes or other smaller change that I'm for certain are around. I have always had White's metal detectors, and they have always been very reliable, but I'm not opposed to changes. What would be a good, dependable detector that would allow me to increase my depth? Cost won't matter as long as the machine is worth the expense. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

By the way, most of my metal detecting is spent either coin shooting or searching for CW relics. Thanks.

The best I feel is the Explorer SE. It will go deep and find small targets , has an array if coils to use on it and will get small items also. You will have to be patirnt and learn however. If you want an easier detector look at the DFX or XLT also the Fisher Edge or Excel. WHy not give me a call and we can discuss it further. 860-623-1153

Thanks for the information- I'm pitching the idea of new metal detector now, but I'm probably going to have to wait until the fall before I actually purchase one. I'm also mulling the idea of getting a waterproof metal detector to use at the beach and some local water holes. My wife has a birthday coming up in in August- if I get a nice metal detector now I'll really need to come up with something great for her or I'm in the doghouse for sure! I'll keep your number on hand and give you a call when I'm ready.

My wife has a birthday coming up in in August

Hey, this couldn't be more perfect timing!

You: "Here honey, here's your present. Happy Birthday!"

Her: *unwrapping* "What!?! A metal detector!?! You know I don't like metal detecting!"

You: "I thought you might like to give the hobby a try."

Her: "No. You're gonna have to take it back and get me something else.'

You: "Where I bought it, there's a no-return policy. I guess we'll just have to keep it. You don't mind me using it do you? Hmm...would you like some new undies from Victoria Secret? I'll stop by and get you some after stopping by the park to test out my, *er*, I mean your, new metal detector."

Problem solved. :D

Hey, this couldn't be more perfect timing!

You: "Here honey, here's your present. Happy Birthday!"

Her: *unwrapping* "What!?! A metal detector!?! You know I don't like metal detecting!"

You: "I thought you might like to give the hobby a try."

Her: "No. You're gonna have to take it back and get me something else.'

You: "Where I bought it, there's a no-return policy. I guess we'll just have to keep it. You don't mind me using it do you? Hmm...would you like some new undies from Victoria Secret? I'll stop by and get you some after stopping by the park to test out my, *er*, I mean your, new metal detector."

Problem solved. :D

That's if you survive the kick to the groin...:lol: What we men think as genius, most women see right through. lol Still worth a shot IMO.

Hello agaon Diggler!
I think Tony's "spot on" with his suggestion of Minelab's SE. There are so many options in the way of coils, add ons (such as Sunray's probe") etc. I now own, along with the SE Tesoro's Cortes and Fisher's F75 and, of course the GPX 4000 which is only occupying space in my basement. If I had to choose only one of the three, I'd go SE. But, who knows? After tomorrow I may change my mind. I just got the F75 today and will give it a go tomorrow; wish me luck! :)

GRB

Back
Top Bottom