Be safe out there

Wow.... that's pretty sad. Must of thought he had a bag of gold and coins or something. Now if he had the Nox it would of hog tied him to the ground and alerted the police automaticly

I'm not far from that area and I am a little surprised it happened there. But like all crime, it can happen anywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised hearing a story like that in parts of Dallas where I've hunted before.
I guess it's a reminder to always carry, especially when hunting alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've wanted to ask this question for a few weeks now, but have hesitated because I'm a rookie. Do any of you folks legally carry a concealed weapon while detecting? The thought crosses my mind a lot because several of the areas I detect are full of drug users and punks acting tough.

I don't carry but I have often wondered if i should. The park i hunt in isn't in the best neighborhood. They hold beer parties at night and the basketball court is always covered in broken glass. There is always a car parked at the far end of the parking lot that must be selling drugs from the number of cars that stop by for a few minutes. Some kids destroyed a new tot lot fixture in less than a week. Others set fire to the restroom. While detecting i saw a couple of guys step over the barrier around it and go up to it. I thought that they must be going to work on it but as I got closer I saw that they were spraying gang signs on the walls. This was in the middle of the day. I never know who i am going to run into. Who knows what would have happened of I had approached them. They left before I could get a tag number.

One of my great uncles was robbed for his finds in Phoenix.
A kid/teen snatched his goodie bucket and ran off.
Cops were able to track him down and he got his dues.

The OP's video was cold. It's a good idea to keep your head on a swivel to keep tabs of your environment when hunting but that may not have been a defense against a punk with a gun.

A number of years ago a farmer who just gave us permission warned us about wild hogs on his property. Sure enough we ran into one. Neither of us had a weapon other than our shovels, but the hog was small and decided to run away. Got my carry permit right after that and carried ever since.

I only carry if I'm going to a remote spot or a bad area for drugs. I have a hard time with the heat so I hunt mostly early mornings and only on week days. Never on a week end.

I had come off a local beach not too long ago and a thuggish guy and his, well.. hard to describe politely, girlfriend came up to me and asked if I found any treasure.. I said I had found a gold ring and silver ring (gold in Florida months ago and silver at another beach last month).. and she exclaims "OH THANK YOU! you found my lost jewelry! THANK YOU, now give them to me.. "

NO !!!!..

I have a shovel in hand and basically no fear of anyone at this point in my life so why not.. "can you describe it?" -yeah it looks just like the ones you found!! (never showed them anything) "Can you tell me what name is inside the rings?" -Yeah! my name IS inside the rings.. show me and I can show you what my name is..

Now there is one thing I reaaaally hate more than anything else in this world, more than stupid people, is someone telling me that it's raining while they're pissing on my pant leg..

Knowing 'thug lad' isn't going to do much other than posture up (too many people within view and not the brightest tulip in the batch) I told them that my camera was recording them and live fed to my home for a youtube showing (what camera?!) .. and poof, I've never seen anyone cover their faces so quickly as they scurried off.. "No, wait.. you didn't tell me your name! HEY, come back.. this MIGHT be your ring.. hey.. really? please?"

I followed them out to the parking lot as they tried to drive off before I could "record" the license plate on the car..

I honestly didn't think stupid could actually breathe and drive cars at the same time.. Oddly enough, a gent following up behind me on the board walk to the parking lot asked what was that all about etc.. turns out he's a local constabulary and was interested in knowing more about the couple.. lol.. Dang shame I didn't have a real camera with me.. would have been real funny..

Other than THAT silly incident, I've never encountered anything more dangerous than a slobbering dog licking my face while on my knees digging a hole.. Canada, eh? Gotta love it up ehere ;)

Wow.... that's pretty sad. Must of thought he had a bag of gold and coins or something. Now if he had the Nox it would of hog tied him to the ground and alerted the police automaticly

If he had a nox, he would have had a bag of gold and coins.

If you have a nox, it is wise to put a Garrett AT Pro sticker on it. They won't even bother you knowing you only have a few rotten zincs and some pull tabs.

Sucks for that guy in the OP video. I've read multiple posts from beachhunters saying they carry regularly, 4AM on a beach alone, you need a little security on you.

I remember one story from a beach hunter that got off the bus and someone tried to grab him, when the md'er spun around startled, his stealth 720 caught the bad guy right in the ribs :laughing: :yes: Crisis averted.

detector robery

Should be a federal offence , hard to believe the guy is out on bond able to rob some one else. No wonder so many on here now carry guns for protection.

A guy has to mentally prepare for such things, develop a good situational awareness and spidey sense of impending doom......This is a dangerous Planet, especially for Humans, evade and avoid if possible...A Lady must always know when to leave a party...

Yep, I carry. I only wear my headphones covering one ear and have my head on a swivel when detecting here in Toledo. If I get some permissions I'm waiting on that are out in the boonies I'll still carry, but use both earpieces and still keep a watchful eye on my surroundings.

Back when I started detecting in the 90's when I based in Dover, Delaware I detected the city parks without any fear. But Toledo is a VERY different place and has a serious heroin problem. Some parks I won't even go to. There is a 100yr old Catholic church that's been closed for a decade that they are going to tear down in a few weeks. I'd love to detect what little grass there is, but my sense of self-preservation won't allow me to do it.

Back
Top Bottom