Equinox easy swing stirrup.

Dan B.

Elite Member
All of us that use the Equinox know that we need to hold tight to the handle or your hand slides to the top and rubs against
the control box. This can make it uncomfortable at times.

So I thought of an idea that makes it easier and almost grip free. By repurposing the black strap off of a camping chair bag, and some Velcro. One strip is cut at about 13 inches long and placing self adhesion Velcro on it to make a loop. Which attaches to your detector shaft behind the control box. Loop may need to be longer for bigger hands or in the case of wearing gloves.

The second loop goes around a handle and the first loop holding it to the top for easy access. This allows your hand to slide in and out of the loop easy the loop rest on your fingers and the top of your hand. Now there is no need to hold tight and your hand will not sliding against the control box.

I have been using this technique for the last couple of times out and it is very comfortable. This was helpful to me hopefully it is for you also.

The second photo the detector is off the ground 6 in. using only one finger .

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_171105.jpg
    IMG_20191021_171105.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_20191021_171141.jpg
    IMG_20191021_171141.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 824
Neat idea !!!! :thumbsup:

I like thought out homemade solutions !

(Fortunately I have been okay using mine as is)

Is that LCD display cover just to keep off the dust ? (I figure it should be rain proof as is)

Simply genius! While my hand doesn't slide up into the control box, I do get some hand fatigue, mostly from the back-swings, where my hand is "pulling" the machine into the back-swing, instead of "pushing" it into a foreward swing.
I can loosen my grip for the foreward, but have to regrip for the back-swinging. I do rely on the arm strap to reduce hand/wrist fatigue.
Your hand sling idea may just be the low-grip solution I need, but didn't realize!
I will be experimenting with this now. Thank you!

Neat idea !!!! :thumbsup:

I like thought out homemade solutions !

(Fortunately I have been okay using mine as is)

Is that LCD display cover just to keep off the dust ? (I figure it should be rain proof as is)

Yes it is a dust cover. In my case it's a mud cover. I am pretty notorious for coming home extremely muddy. It will also help to keep from rubbing off the button decals with my sandy gritty little hands.

Nice job! You just solved a huge problem there! :friends:

Simply genius! While my hand doesn't slide up into the control box, I do get some hand fatigue, mostly from the back-swings, where my hand is "pulling" the machine into the back-swing, instead of "pushing" it into a foreward swing.
I can loosen my grip for the foreward, but have to regrip for the back-swinging. I do rely on the arm strap to reduce hand/wrist fatigue.
Your hand sling idea may just be the low-grip solution I need, but didn't realize!
I will be experimenting with this now. Thank you!

I get a good idea every once in awhile. This may not be the best solution, but it is one that works for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. Thanks!!!!

Yes it is a dust cover. In my case it's a mud cover. I am pretty notorious for coming home extremely muddy. It will also help to keep from rubbing off the button decals with my sandy gritty little hands.

Good idea, guess I got to be careful as my gloved hands get muddy/gritty at times also.

I had the opportunity to see Dan’s stirrup in person earlier today (we have field permissions right across the street from each other, and we happened to show up to hunt at almost the same time!). It really is a brilliant solution - simple and inexpensive to make, and very effective. He could effortlessly swing the machine just using a couple fingers with no “ride up” to the control housing. Plus nothing blocking the thumb from navigating the buttons, unlike another solution that was posted recently. Quickly adjustable to accommodate anything from bare-handed detecting right up to thick winter gloves.

...And apparently the stirrup also makes two-cent pieces fly out of the ground while it’s in use ;) :lol: I offered to trade my 2 Wheaties I found for the 2-center, and oddly, Dan didn’t accept. :?: Offer still stands...I’ll even throw in that watch face!

:lol::lol:

I had the opportunity to see Dan’s stirrup in person earlier today (we have field permissions right across the street from each other, and we happened to show up to hunt at almost the same time!). It really is a brilliant solution - simple and inexpensive to make, and very effective. He could effortlessly swing the machine just using a couple fingers with no “ride up” to the control housing. Plus nothing blocking the thumb from navigating the buttons, unlike another solution that was posted recently. Quickly adjustable to accommodate anything from bare-handed detecting right up to thick winter gloves.

...And apparently the stirrup also makes two-cent pieces fly out of the ground while it’s in use ;) :lol: I offered to trade my 2 Wheaties I found for the 2-center, and oddly, Dan didn’t accept. :?: Offer still stands...I’ll even throw in that watch face!

:lol::lol:

Thanks for your feedback. And allowing me to demonstrate even though my truck was parked in the middle of the road. Which is only allowed in a farming community.:drive:

I'll have to try this....I don't grip the handle tightly...just loosely and use my hand to "guide" the detector...letting the cuff around my arm carry the weight...but maybe I just never noticed

I get a good idea every once in awhile. This may not be the best solution, but it is one that works for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. Thanks!!!!

Hunted half the day today, so I gave this a try. I made temporary version just to see if I'd like it. Basically, I cut a length of strap, used several zip ties to attach it to the the side of the grip, and then tied the ends several times to get the length right.

One adjustment I made almost right away was to make the stirrup strap long enough to loop under the shaft and above the grip. This moved the stirrup strap higher up my hand rather than just my fingers.

I was skeptical that I would have to fiddle with it every time I picked the detector back up, but that wasn't the case at all. I was able to slip my hand through the arm strap and right into the stirrup. It definitely reduced fatigue and kept my hand from riding up the grip. Nice job!

Hunted half the day today, so I gave this a try. I made temporary version just to see if I'd like it. Basically, I cut a length of strap, used several zip ties to attach it to the the side of the grip, and then tied the ends several times to get the length right.

One adjustment I made almost right away was to make the stirrup strap long enough to loop under the shaft and above the grip. This moved the stirrup strap higher up my hand rather than just my fingers.

I was skeptical that I would have to fiddle with it every time I picked the detector back up, but that wasn't the case at all. I was able to slip my hand through the arm strap and right into the stirrup. It definitely reduced fatigue and kept my hand from riding up the grip. Nice job!

I started out with a prototype of zip ties also. I found out that the velcro is stiff enough when kept to the outside of the loop to keep it open at all times. Also the velcro gives you the ability to change the size of the loop based on gloves or no gloves. I'm glad it was helpful thanks!

Here is another idea to keep your hand from sliding up to the control box.
Take a piece of 1" pipe insulation or a pool float and cut a small piece off.
It worked great for me all summer, the yellow band is just a rubber band. If using a pool float you could trim the inside of it out to open it up to the right diameter.
Other ideas- use silicone and attach an old watch. Slide a few flags into the holes under the arm guard to mark spots.

Attachments

• 20201222_155729r.jpg
    20201222_155729r.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20201222_155817r.jpg
    20201222_155817r.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 20201222_155825r.jpg
    20201222_155825r.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 259
Here is another idea to keep your hand from sliding up to the control box.
Take a piece of 1" pipe insulation or a pool float and cut a small piece off.
It worked great for me all summer, the yellow band is just a rubber band. If using a pool float you could trim the inside of it out to open it up to the right diameter.
Other ideas- use silicone and attach an old watch. Slide a few flags into the holes under the arm guard to mark spots.

That's a good idea I like that one it looks Comfortable. Thanks for posting this.

Back
Top Bottom