• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Do you guys have a special spot?

Birddog1911

I know we're a friendly forum, and I've already made arrangements to hunt with another member.

But, do you guys have that special secret spot that you don't want to share? A spot that produces well, or perhaps might have some good relics?

Maybe they're afraid this might happen if they share too good of a spot :laughing::laughing::laughing:
mdcrowdedFMDF.jpg

I hunt alone for 6 months a year and then when canadianguy comes down for the winters i share any new spots i researched. I have no problem sharing spots with anyone who is willing to detect the bush with all the spiky plants, thorns, cactus, snakes and ticks...

I do indeed have a special spot! It’s my yard. I live in a dying small town (I think we’re down to around 30 people) and my yard is made up of lots of little yards that all once had houses on them. It was all virgin ground, my 3rd hole was my first coin, a 1942 Mercury dime. (I was hooked.) I’ve been very fortunate to have such a special circumstance. This is my home town, so I know everyone, and I’ve been able to go just almost everywhere, but in the end the “sweet spot” is just north of my house along Main Street. In that tiny 5 foot by 40ish foot section I’ve been amazed at the coins I’ve found. Lots of Indians, Barber dimes, even a couple of Canadian large cents (but no old nickels). Just up the sidewalk I found my first half dollar, a Barber. I’ve walked that sidewalk my entire life, it was just waiting for me! I haven’t found a coin there now for over a year, but I know they’re still there hiding under some can slaw or nails.

I think most of us all have some spots we would rather keep to ourselves. I really have very little competition here where I live and I kind of like it that way. I recently hunted a local fairground and I am sure it was cherry picked. There were some clad coins but the lack of quarters makes me almost sure it was picked over. I will hunt this spot this year as soon as the fair is over. I am retired, 74 years young so I can hunt anytime I so desire. I have yet to find a great old place for the great stuff although I do have some silvers buy certainly earned them. If this snow finally stops, I have a few new places to try. Good luck to all and stay warm. Must get to my snow today, just got over 8"
Bubbaron Nox 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot, Garrett 8"x6"Coil

I do have favorite places I like to hunt, but nothing that is exclusive just to me. The ski hill we hunt has been gone over by thousands of other detectorists, and we still find a silver or two almost every hunt. BUT! if I get an exclusive site, I will keep that one secret till I am confident I have gotten all I could out of it. Up here in Michigan it would be like asking someone where their prime Morel mushroom spot is. All you'll get is the "LOOK":laughing:

Yessir. I have one of those spots. :) I didn't mind sharing it and have taken other detectorists there before, but one of them decided to sneak back over there without me and got caught. Now the land owners (my family) won't allow me to bring anyone there anymore.

I don't like to share places I hunt. Not because what they might find but for the damage they might leave and get my sites shut down to detecting. I recently saw where someone had been hunting on a local football field and had left some holes. The maintenance had circled the holes with orange spay paint. That doesn't look good for the hobby.

My hunting partners and I generally share locations/permissions. What you may lose in the short run is more than made up for in the long run by having more people out there looking for spots and gaining permission.

But...we all have our secret spots that we haven't shared. Mine has produced over 90 silver coins to date and I'm not sharing it with anyone.

I hunt dirt during the winter and the beach the rest of the year. Was at a spot recently that has always been good for a batch of clad and could not believe how few coins i had found. Talked to one of the employees and was told that four other guys were on the property every week for the past two months Oh well it was good while it lasted.

It is rare that i do not see at least one other coil swinger when i am at the beach. The highest was 8 that i could determine what they were doing

There are a couple of guys that i am willing to share locations with.

Yes.

After doing some research, I found the remains of a defunct recreation area. It was used for decades then abandoned.

I'm convinced that I was the first to get a coil over that dirt.

It didn't turn out to be the silver monster that I hoped, but it has produced well.

I got overexcited when I first walked the place. While walking the rocky beach, I was seeing wheat back pennies on the surface from the 1920's and 30's.

When you put time into finding these places, it's not like sharing a secret "catch and release" fishing hole.

You know in 40+ years I can't think of a single spot I haven't taken my friends. Oh course now I get more enjoyment out of watching someone else make a nice recovery then when I do a nice recovery.

I think every mans goal is to find that special spot. Problem is we can never seem to. At least that's what my wife says. Do you think it really exists or just one of those things they tell us does but really doesn't??? :laughing:

I see several pirates on the beach during the summer. We have more folks without detectors combing the area, they are looking for sea glass. I never knew this was such a popular option.

I will need an exact location and or address to verify you actually have this "special" spot or if you are just making it up. Thank You in advance for your cooperation.

Back
Top Bottom