False Alarm

Numil

Elite Member
Ok was detecting the beach and just came out of the water and was headed back to my truck when I get an emergency alert on my cell. Thinking it’s probably a tsunami warning of an earthquake some where in the pacific rim I was shocked to see a msg saying: “Ballistic Missile Alert incoming missile to Hawaii This Is Not A Drill”.🤯 Needless to say left a brown streak on the beach.

Turned out it was human error. Some one pushed the wrong button! I keep
Having this flashback to Rocket explaining to Baby Groot which button to push.

Needless to say I went home and gave my family a hug. Detecting can happen another day. Did pick up about $4 in clad and one junk ring. Calling it a day

Attachments

• 00675563-E70D-4BA2-BD9E-97525B417E49.jpeg
    00675563-E70D-4BA2-BD9E-97525B417E49.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Just been reading it on the BBC web site.

Can't understand why it took so long to rectify the issue, assuming the quote is correct ?

"It was corrected by email 18 minutes later but there was no follow-up mobile text for 38 minutes, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports"

Ok was detecting the beach and just came out of the water and was headed back to my truck when I get an emergency alert on my cell. Thinking it’s probably a tsunami warning of an earthquake some where in the pacific rim I was shocked to see a msg saying: “Ballistic Missile Alert incoming missile to Hawaii This Is Not A Drill”.🤯 Needless to say left a brown streak on the beach.

Turned out it was human error. Some one pushed the wrong button! I keep
Having this flashback to Rocket explaining to Baby Groot which button to push.

Needless to say I went home and gave my family a hug. Detecting can happen another day. Did pick up about $4 in clad and one junk ring. Calling it a day

That's a horrible mistake someone made......

Its been on all the news channels all day long... someone's head is going to roll for that...

After I read that here I went to read it in the online USA Today. I couldn't believe it! :shock: That's just crazy how someone screwed the pooch on that.

Dude - sorry man - bet that was 38 minutes of hell!

That mistake is friggin nuts!!!!! Can you imagine what all those people were going through - 38 minutes of hell - calling family saying good bye - people crying.....

I can understand a mistake - even a bad mistake like that. Taking 38 minutes to tell everyone that its a false alarm is 10000% wrong and yes someone's head should roll!!!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME...

Hugs came easy today and often. Not going to cast blame or be negative in regards to responsibility. My vote is my voice and I intend to use it!

Please, guys. This ain't the first time that the public has panicked over false news. Remember, back in the thirties, Orson Well's "War of The Worlds" was broadcast in England, and it had folks jumping out of windows to their death to get away from the non-existent Martians.
While it's a serious breach of protocol, in the final analysis, there isn't a damn thing any regular citizen can do about it.

Roger

Somewhere north of South Korea, there's a fat little inbred chuckling.

I'd probably also be terrified if someone like that happens to me!

I just heard about this on our news, they even told us that Mr. Trump was playing golf when this all happened. :lol:

That was something! Imagine if you were a Commercial Airline Pilot sitting there at the gate, loading, due for departure...Plane half full of people...you get this warning, What would you do?...

"Capt Speaking, I got some good news, and some bad news! We are leaving early, drinks on this flight are free, but you may experience a bit of turbulence!! Aloha!"
Zip Zoom! Warp speed Scotty! Luggage slinging out of the open hatch, gateway snapped right off, No tower clearance, full throttle!! Right? :laughing:

Or a Fishing Boat Charter Capt? Like in the Gary Larson cartoon? "No size restrictions and screw the limit!":laughing:

Or, on vacation and having breakfast at the Hotel restaurant? Just get up and run away without paying?? Hollering out, "Bill it to my Roooom!" Sure...I bet lots of things like this happened...

Then theres our Brother...Numil..out detecting, earphones on, concentrating, lost in his own little peaceful world... looks up, "Hey, where did everybody go?" That would be a hilarious cartoon!..old Metal detector guy, huntin a beach, mushroom clouds in the background...totally oblivious!:laughing:

Please, guys. This ain't the first time that the public has panicked over false news. Remember, back in the thirties, Orson Well's "War of The Worlds" was broadcast in England, and it had folks jumping out of windows to their death to get away from the non-existent Martians.
While it's a serious breach of protocol, in the final analysis, there isn't a damn thing any regular citizen can do about it.

Roger

That was in New Jersey I believe!

I'd probably also be terrified if someone like that happens to me!

I just heard about this on our news, they even told us that Mr. Trump was playing golf when this all happened. :lol:

They would report if Trump was in the bathroom or on the phone or at the barber or etc.

I hope he never gets a hangnail, it'll be front page for a week.

Back
Top Bottom