1867 IH "restored"

joe dert

Elite Member
Crusty beach find... sometimes you gotta get aggressive.. stripped her bare..then dressed her... now a couple finishing touches on high spots that got abraided and she's good enough to be accepted as restored...details grade is ok by me considering it was basically worthless before...and it's much more satisfying to view than the uncleaned version..

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_191659295.jpg
    IMG_20190115_191659295.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_20190115_191322203.jpg
    IMG_20190115_191322203.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 791
Joe, your coin cleaning looks professional grade. Looking forward to seeing the future before and afters!

Joe, your coin cleaning looks professional grade. Looking forward to seeing the future before and afters!

Thank you.. I'm still learning..but I started by simple research and trying suggested chemicals and techniques used by museums and such..nothing much original except custom mixing of certain chemicals..

Very nice job, looks like brand new.

Thank you..if I can reach to the level of acceptance for details grading as environmentally damaged then I can fairly call it restored rather than cleaned..

Last edited:
Looks great and would also like to see the before picture and pictures of between steps.

Any sharing of chemicals and process?

Looks great and would also like to see the before picture and pictures of between steps.

Any sharing of chemicals and process?

Yeah..why not? I'll try to include more information soon..in the meantime I will quickly post some nickel pics on a new thread about nickels perhaps...

Good job it came out great.

Thank you..I'm not a wizard..just been messing around with known methods..the coin looks ok now..but I won't know for sure it has actually been preserved until some time in the future

That looks amazing, I’d definitely like to see a before picture

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

That looks amazing, I’d definitely like to see a before picture

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

If you check my thread titled " the controversial cleaning of copper ..1874 Indian Head " it shows some pics..

Very nice work! Congrats on your find and on its beautiful restoration. :clapping:

Looks Like It Works Wonders

Joe Dert ,
Joe Im quite intrigued as so many other folks are that have read your post on this subject . Inquiring minds would like to know how you achieved this level of success in your restoration process or cleaning process ???
We all know it will take some level of trial and error on our parts , but your process seams to be very promising , your results are very impressive .
I dug an 1859 Indian Head Fatty many moons ago that had very strong details , but I wanted to clean it up some but was unexperienced with electrolysis ( I was in my early 20's ) and I ruined a great coin . So any details you could share about your process would be appreciated .
Thanks Joe :grin:

Back
Top Bottom