New Jersey Copper Maris 6-C

FoxW

After a lot of research, I am fairly certain my New Jersey Copper coin is the variety Maris 6-C. On PCGS Coin Facts, it stated that an estimate of only 75 were surviving. I only saw one price that one sold for at an auction in VF-25 for around $1200 a few years ago. Mine is obviously not in near as good of shape, but it is in as good of shape as you can imagine after being in the ground for that long. I don't know much about all of this stuff, but I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge on all of this. Let me know if you know any value of this or any good ways I can research this better. Thanks for your time!

Bill

Attachments

• Jersey Coin1 (800x600).jpg
    Jersey Coin1 (800x600).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 793
  • jersey coin2 (800x600).jpg
    jersey coin2 (800x600).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 702
This is the type of coin worth sending in for Identification and Grading. It's a good chance you are right on the ID, but a third party grading company will properly ID and give you the grade. This will give you a more solid answer on the value. That's not a coin you take a chance on.
Congrats and Good Luck!

Do you have any suggestions on where to send a coin like that? I also recently found a NJ copper and I am curious as to which it is. OP how did you narrow your coin down?

This is the type of coin worth sending in for Identification and Grading. It's a good chance you are right on the ID, but a third party grading company will properly ID and give you the grade. This will give you a more solid answer on the value. That's not a coin you take a chance on.
Congrats and Good Luck!

Thanks a lot Coinshark! HH!

Do you have any suggestions on where to send a coin like that? I also recently found a NJ copper and I am curious as to which it is. OP how did you narrow your coin down?

Bucktrout, congrats on the find. As much as a pain as it was, I just went through all of the coins on this page that matched the date and find the one with the matching shield on the back, and other characteristics. I especially looked at the stripes on the shield, and where the left and right point on the top of the shield lined up with the letters above it. Let me know if you have any questions! website: http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/new_jersey_coppers.htm

Bill

Really nice find. Your identification may be correct, with better head on pictures I could verify it. I believe the 6 C is presently listed as an R4, 76-200 known, which in colonial coins is about a middle of the road rarity. Better than common but not terribly rare. Value in dug condition is hard to say, but not likely to be worth having slabbed. If you ever wanted to sell it, most colonial collectors prefer their coins unslabbed. As I said, if you can post good photos, not on an angle I can probably verify the attribution.

Back
Top Bottom