Coinstarred the Clad and Hit the Coin Show.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Cashed in my clad for the last few months and checked out the coin show this weekend. I couldn't find a spectacular deal on silver coins. Sometimes I can find deals just above melt. The best I could do was Merc dimes at 12x. Came away with 100 silver dimes for my $120. I enjoy swapping dug clad for silver. Modern day alchemy!

Attachments

• 20190413_115358_resized.jpg
    20190413_115358_resized.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Congratulations!!!! You made your 100 for the year. Well, sorta...I may have to consider something similar. I haven't acquired any silver since rust went under. I do over $120 in clad every month, but only have one silver coin for '19. All the detectors and coils are paid for in clad twice over, maybe silver coin should be next. Coin shows?

Congratulations!!!! You made your 100 for the year. Well, sorta...I may have to consider something similar. I haven't acquired any silver since rust went under. I do over $120 in clad every month, but only have one silver coin for '19. All the detectors and coils are paid for in clad twice over, maybe silver coin should be next. Coin shows?

Your clad numbers are awesome! I enjoy buying silver coins with my clad haul. I usually find the best deals at the coin shows. There was just one this weekend in Layton. It's a shame about Rust. I didnt know them well, but had been in the shop a few times. Seemed like a really honest place. I still think it was. Sounds like they got wrapped up in something shady behind the scenes. I dont know the whole story though. I was really surprised by the news of their closing.

Cashed in my clad for the last few months and checked out the coin show this weekend. I couldn't find a spectacular deal on silver coins. Sometimes I can find deals just above melt. The best I could do was Merc dimes at 12x. Came away with 100 silver dimes for my $120. I enjoy swapping dug clad for silver. Modern day alchemy!

NIce! Last month I swapped $140 for a set of 1940-1947 PDS Walking Liberty Halves, nicely filling the Whitman coin book they came in.

It wasn't the best deal in the world (14x), but I was happy with the trade for clad, and the guy selling was just as happy. All of them were better circulated coins, many with nice lines still.

Skippy

By Golly you are on track for 'finding' 400 Merc Dimes this season! I love Clad and all metallugical magic monetary transformations! Heck, up here with our 10c deposit redemption, simply picking up 12 empty cans garnishes the trading value for a 12X face Merc! WooHoo! Love how you did that Stiffy!

Imagine, all that dirty clad woulda just rotted away in the dirt anyhow, so hey...pull it and transform it! Actually, just about anything we find that has a street value can be transubstantiatied into PM's...A nice plush new beach towel is worth $5, lighters, sunglasses, cast off antlers, certain stones, whatever! Love it!

FWIW, A $7 BK Whopper or a HotNReady pizza is worth a BF Half!! A pack of smokes is worth a nice Walker and a Merc! A 15 pack of beer is worth a Peace Dollar! Lets not get carried away right? But hey, A guy can really rack up a lot of silver thinking like this and going to some Coin Shows to make the trade!! :cheers3:

Last edited:
FWIW, A $7 BK Whopper or a HotNReady pizza is worth a BF Half!! A pack of smokes is worth a nice Walker and a Merc! A 15 pack of beer is worth a Peace Dollar! Lets not get carried away right? But hey, A guy can really rack up a lot of silver thinking like this and going to some Coin Shows to make the trade!! :cheers3:

Yeah, when I used to detect with my son, he'd always ask if we could get a burger or something while we were out. I always complied (those are MEMORIES, man...) but everytime, I remember thinking...

"Dang.. We just spend 3 hours and found about $8 between us... and now I just spent $11 at the fast food place... .*sigh*" NEVER said anything out loud, but I've found I'm a stingy person when it comes to hunting alone!

I bring my own water and a couple of granola bars while I'm hunting. I just cannot bring myself to hit a convenience store for food. LOL

Skippy

Last edited:
I just have my dirty clad thrown in multiple buckets. Time to clean and turn them in and get some goodies.

Hey if anyone wants a decent deal on a mix of mercs and rosies, Provident has them at 11.3 x face now for orders of 100 or more coins, free shipping. I’ve dealt with them for years and never a problem.

Back
Top Bottom