Considering the purchase of an Equinox 800

Joven76

So I'm contemplating the purchase of an Equinox 800. I want to do some beach detecting, not diving, but wet sand, in the water, and dry sand. I live about 2 hours away from the coast, so I'm also going to be doing some land detecting as well.

From everything I've read, most machines, while they do well on ground, they may not do so well on dry sand and no matter how many time you ground balance, wet sand can wreak havoc. So I was considering getting a PI machine, but the more and more I've researched the Nox 800, it appears this machine is a rock star on both.

I wanted to hear some opinions on using it on both land and beach hunting, does it really work well on both, or would I be better off getting a VLF and PI machine for both land and sea hunting?

I would love to have a machine that is versatile that can do both, but at the same time, I don't want to have a machine that struggles on one and not the other just because I wanted to save a few pennies from buying 2 machines.

Love to hear some opinions

Just the beach.........the 600
Both the beach and dirt........800

Land hunting.
Very impressive detector. Even in higher mineral soils.
Found 2 maybe 3 excellent finds today (small) in a real hard hunted site previously by me for over 7 years.

I am a believer in Nox. Big time.

I’m really impressed with the 800 and have used it at the beach and dirt. Mostly dirt. Check with Jeff @ Quality Metal Detectors on price before you buy!

Isn't the main difference tween the 600 / 800 is that the latter has more of a gold finding gadget to it than the 600? More for gold prospecting abilities than the 600.. ? (something like that?)

It was the main tie breaker for me when I chose the 600 over the 800..

But what do I know, I'm still new at this ;)

Isn't the main difference tween the 600 / 800 is that the latter has more of a gold finding gadget to it than the 600? More for gold prospecting abilities than the 600.. ? (something like that?)

It was the main tie breaker for me when I chose the 600 over the 800..

But what do I know, I'm still new at this ;)

The gold settings and the ability to adjust bins.

You also have finer resolution and higher settings for recovery speed and iron bias on the EQ800. For example, you can set recovery speed from 1-8 on the EQ800, while the EQ600 is limited to 1-3. But it's important to note that those numbers aren't directly equivalent between the models. If we translated the EQ600's recovery speed numbers to the EQ800, the equivalents would be 2, 4, and 6. Basically, the EQ800 can be set up to be faster (and slower) than the EQ600, and the 800 has some extra intermediate settings. The same type of difference is true for iron bias. So essentially, the actual performance of the EQ800 can be adjusted a bit more than the EQ600 in a given mode. Another way to look at these differences is that an EQ800 can be set up to perform exactly like an EQ600, but not the other way around.

All that said, would most hunters notice? Probably not.

I recommend if folks can afford to buy 800 unit.
If you are wanting to get SERIOUS about detecting or already ARE.
Buy the 800 model.
Why.
Few reasons.
Adjustable backlight.
Ability to configure tone bins as you wish.
More speed settings, this is critical imo as one can adjust for depth and or their soil as far as mineralization and how the site sets up for iron coverage.
Prospecting modes on 800 unit good for iron hunting and open field relic hunting.
Wi stream module the 800 comes with is the cat’s meow for me. BETTER than using blue tooth low latency headphones (which are supplied with 800 btw).

Knowing what I know I would never opt for 600 over 800.
Granted some folks budgets might not allow the extra $$$.
Understandable.
Save up and wait a little longer and get the 800 if you can.

As I said. For salt water hunting the 600 does everything you need a detector to do. The bells and whistles of the 800 are a waste in this type of hunting. Save the money for waterproof headphones.

In the dirt the adjustments of the 800 can come in handy.

So the 800 is more suited to gold prospecting? Otherwise for Beach and Dirt the 600 is fine? Just thinking.........

You also get the wireless headphones with the 800. I've been using them for a year now and they still work perfectly.

On land I replaced my CTX and Nokta Impact with the Nox.

In the water, it is a very good detector. Exclusive water machines like the Excal and Dual Field are deeper but no VDI.

On wet sand, the NOX is very good and not many machines are better.

From what I understand the 600 also has Bluetooth and wondering why just bluetooth headset from else where will work?

I just purchased an Nox 800 , With my experience, it is Great! I know it's an investment, but....Different thought process: One ounce of gold would more than pay for it, and your going to spend 600-800 on an upper grade (one) frequency detector anyway. Go for it if you are able,....and don't look back! Just have FUN!!

Back
Top Bottom