UPDATE WITH LESSONS LEARNED - No Creepy Gold This Time

jjm861

Elite Member
Well I learned a couple of lessons from yesterday.

1. I am definitely not a Gemologist.
2. Listen to the advice of my detecting friends on this great forum !!!!

At the advice of a few of you, I decided to have the ring I found yesterday checked out by one of my local jewelers. I sold a small gold and diamond ring to him several months ago and thought he may give me some more info on the ring.

I was the only customer in the store, so he took his time looking at the ring. First, measuring the stones with a jewelers calipers then looking at the stones through his loop. After about 10 minutes and a couple of other tests, he said to me, "I'll give you $550.00 for the ring." I was shocked....he said the diamonds are good with the center stone being roughly .54 carats. He also said that he would need to remove the center diamond, but said it should grade roughly VS2...."a very nice 1/2 plus carat diamond in a platinum setting".

I told him I tested the diamonds with my tester and they came up as simulated. He said you need to keep fresh batteries in those testers and to go back and try again. Sure enough....fresh batteries....and a retest....GREEN LIGHT INDICATING DIAMONDS.

I am going to hold onto the ring for a while and think about my selling options.

THANKS AGAIN....I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR RESPONSES.

Some of you may remember my post a few days ago with the "creepy" gold crown. Well....today I found the good stuff, but it was more what I like in a gold find.:D:D

So I will ruin the suspense....the stones are not real diamonds....:( When I check them with my 10x loup, they were just too clean. I also have a really good diamond tester that confirmed a no go for real diamonds.

However, as you can see, the center band is platinum and the two outside bands are 14k. It is a shame that such a pretty ring has fake stones !!!! But I am happy with the 7.64g platinum/gold combo.

As a bonus, I found what I think is another "Chinese Cash Coin"?? Maybe one of our Far East friends can help identify??

Good Luck....Be Safe....Jeff.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
:dingding: Congrats on a beautiful ring! Maybe they're not supposed to be diamonds? I would have that ring checked out. 14K with plat makes me think you're dealing with real stones. Maybe white saphires? That would make sense and make that ring a lot more valuable.

Totally agree. Fake stones in 14K and plat?? STRANGE. Congrats on the metal though

After attending support groups for Alzheimer's I found that some children/spouses have the real stones removed for some sort of false security their wedding bands wont get stolen:?:

I would have to agree with Felix. Might not be diamonds, but could be white sapphires or hambergite , which is clear as glass......Nice ring no matter what though.
DL

I agree with Felix- to spend on gold and platinum why cheap out on the stones.Check it out hopefully you'll be happily surprised. Either way congrats

great looking ring :wow: found a 14k look like a real dianond:?::cool:.. jeweler said it may a white sapphire

Attachments

• photoMA31583358-0004.JPG
    photoMA31583358-0004.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 499
Great ring congrats, a wedding cluster is on my list for one of these days. :cool:

I wonder if the woman who lost it knew those weren't diamonds. Or maybe she found out and that's how it ended up in the water!

great news, makes you wonder just how many members have trashed rings where their tester told them they werent real diamonds

The center ring has a couple of hallmarks and stamped PT. The two outside rings are stamped 14k.

Almost looks like a "D'amiani" stamp but I couldn't tell... found a 18k ring year before last with that mark and "750". European gold.

Fun stuff and congrats again! That's a nice one for sure :)

I wonder how many members just replaced the batteries on their diamond testers... lol

Congrats on the diamond ring, looks really good!

Back
Top Bottom