Scoop suggestions

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I have been using a 5" aluminum scoop for wet/dry at beach. Its been a great scoop especially because its so light. However the Nox is really good at pinpinting the perimeter of the coil and the 5" is to small to be effective with 1 or 2 scoops. It often ends up 2 -4 scoops in a larger area.

What scoops do you recommend? Also, anyone tried the scoops that have a super long point in the front to pick up those super deep items? When working light surf sometimes im just out of reach of the targer before the sand fills in and that long pointed scoop may be able to pull it out.

Recommendations appreciated

Last edited:
I too have the exact same problem. I think the pinpointing is horrible on this machine. Though I'm still new on it. I don't want to have to go into pinpoint mode all the time. I use a big 9 x 13 pointed stainless scoop. Big and heavy . Deep targets are still an issue. Maybe with more time I will get it. But I'm not the only one. I get my targets , but I wish I could use my smaller scoop like yours. I think it's just lack of experience on this machine. A bigger scoop will help , but not as much as you think. Unless you're in the water. Then it's critical.

Stavr, take your pick. I have abused mine for many years and it still looks almost new... Nice and light as a bonus!

xtreme scoop or stealth scoop i love mine

I agree, either of these, I use the 720 for most of my targets are deep. I get in a area where the target are deep and the sand flows fast I'll do a good PP, then take several scoop fast and in each kick the sand out at 10 o'clock a few feet away, recheck and hope I've got it..Much easier once the target is out of the hole and not sinking with each scoop...Learned that from Virginia Beach Max...:digginahole:

Xtreme

Has the latest high end scoops, 316 Stainless , and coming out with a titanium , all the other manufacturer's high end use 304 stainless , :lol: and yes, now my scoops are out dated :( Glad i have my buddy OBN > coach keep's me going :detector::friends:

I agree, either of these, I use the 720 for most of my targets are deep. I get in a area where the target are deep and the sand flows fast I'll do a good PP, then take several scoop fast and in each kick the sand out at 10 o'clock a few feet away, recheck and hope I've got it..Much easier once the target is out of the hole and not sinking with each scoop...Learned that from Virginia Beach Max...:digginahole:
I'll second the Stealth 720i. I have the hybrid and it works great. I stand on mine to get it deeper and it still looks new. Stavr scoops are good too but come from Europe so maybe longer ship times.

Cliff

I’ve been using this one from Amazon for 2 years now. I got a shovel handle from Home Depot and I was on my way. It’s worked pretty well but my only complaint is the weight. I believe I’ll end up getting something lighter with a fiberglass handle when this breaks. From the looks of how it’s holding up it may be a couple more years before that happens.

Attachments

• 01248258-2F0B-4873-855A-04580BB108D8.jpg
    01248258-2F0B-4873-855A-04580BB108D8.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 357
The WalMart posthole diggers have two nice fiberglass handles that fit just fine on most scoops. $20 and you get two handles.

I agree with OBN and Brncofan.

I just got an Extreme Scoop from my wife for my B-Day. Have not used it yet, but it sure looks B.A.

Attachments

• extreme scoops.jpg
    extreme scoops.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 369

I agree with OBN too...

Get a Stealth, not an Extreme, the Extreme is a rip off copy of the Stealth..

<°)))>{

I’ve been using this one from Amazon for 2 years now. I got a shovel handle from Home Depot and I was on my way. It’s worked pretty well but my only complaint is the weight. I believe I’ll end up getting something lighter with a fiberglass handle when this breaks. From the looks of how it’s holding up it may be a couple more years before that happens.

yes thats what i started with as well but way to heavy then i got the stealth 720i with the CF handle soooo much lighter , i know they cost alot but well worth the $$$$$$$

Amazing

How scoop technology is changing might pony up to 316 SS , or titanium , 304 stainless has done me well , however just like the AQ , it's time for a new millinium , a change , advance to new technology :razz::clapping::laughbounce:

I've gone through 2 Stealths (920iX, Extreme); first was replaced by company and second is in shop for repair/replacement now (but haven't heard a word in several months). I do some heavy surf work in rock/cement sand and have even destroyed a 6" RTG aluminum scoop but it took several years. While I wait for my Stealth to be return, hopefully, (heard they changed their "life-long guarantee") just bought a 7" RTG aluminum scoop and it is a true monster. You wouldn't think an inch would make much of a difference - but the diff between the 6" and 7" RTG scoops, both 10" long, is HUGH. If you deal with lots of rocks and sand like cement, consider the 7" RTG aluminum scoop (but ck on weight). The thing is so wide I don't think I'll have any issues retrieving deep targets in the surf...assuming I can still lift a full scoop of sand up and out in the surf.

Aside, on my newest Stealth scoop I also bought a carbon fiber handle and would recommend it 100%!!! Absolutely love the carbon fiber handles, really only way to go if you just buy a separate sand scoop and can add the carbon fiber handle of the right diameter. Before switching to the carbon fiber handle, I had broken 4 wood handles and several homemade double thick PVC pipe handles; but I have met my match with the carbon fiber handle from Sunspot Equipment, the maker of Stealth scoops. Try as I might, that handle will outlast me...may have to include in my Will.

I've gone through 2 Stealths (920iX, Extreme); first was replaced by company and second is in shop for repair/replacement now (but haven't heard a word in several months). I do some heavy surf work in rock/cement sand and have even destroyed a 6" RTG aluminum scoop but it took several years. While I wait for my Stealth to be return, hopefully, (heard they changed their "life-long guarantee") just bought a 7" RTG aluminum scoop and it is a true monster. You wouldn't think an inch would make much of a difference - but the diff between the 6" and 7" RTG scoops, both 10" long, is HUGH. If you deal with lots of rocks and sand like cement, consider the 7" RTG aluminum scoop (but ck on weight). The thing is so wide I don't think I'll have any issues retrieving deep targets in the surf...assuming I can still lift a full scoop of sand up and out in the surf.

Aside, on my newest Stealth scoop I also bought a carbon fiber handle and would recommend it 100%!!! Absolutely love the carbon fiber handles, really only way to go if you just buy a separate sand scoop and can add the carbon fiber handle of the right diameter. Before switching to the carbon fiber handle, I had broken 4 wood handles and several homemade double thick PVC pipe handles; but I have met my match with the carbon fiber handle from Sunspot Equipment, the maker of Stealth scoops. Try as I might, that handle will outlast me...may have to include in my Will.
Sounds like you are not a good example for the average user. It's possible to destroy anything if you try hard enough. The average guy would never do what you are doing. That's not a critique, just a comment. Sometimes you have to do what must be done for the job.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom