What year was your house built?

graybeard

Elite Member
Our house was built around 1850. Most every place in our yard we dig there are about 6 to 10 junk items. So our yard is not the best place to try a new detector. The yard has thousands of 22 brass, nails everywhere and lots of foil. Anything I have dug I remove lots of trash with it.

My house was built in 1960, however I can sit and eat breakfast while looking out my back window and see where I dug a King George and a Large Cent. Most likely since just a couple doors down was an old farm house, long since gone...

I also dug my biggest single pocket spill in my own back yard.. It was about 120 Memorial cents from the 70's if I recall...

1880's.. rural..however its not the first house built here. Property settled in the 1840's, built a log cabin before the house. Cabin torn down in the 1970's.

Found a lot of cool finds here and want to concentrate more where log cabin was, but need to plow over a bunch of blackberries to really get in there.

My house was built in 1977 and I got a signal to something I haven't dug yet . It's big and deep , just ignored it for now. There's a neck to it 4" down.

I built my house myself in 1978. The only thing that was ever lost was about three years off my life expectancy.

Cool thing is, beside a tree out front years ago I dug a 1909 Indian that was stuck to a 1909 Wheat with a piece, I assumed, of gum.

My house was built in 1895. Three block from a beach that people have been coming to since the late 1800's. The oldest church in the town is at the end of my block I think it was bulit in the 1870's.

1990s, but on a riverbank and shipyard dating to the mid/late 1600s! I find musket balls and square nails in the same dirt as modern pliers and shotgun shells. I typically don't have a clue what it is that I find or how old it may be until I google it later or post it here for you geniuses to figure out. I'm quickly learning though...I should also say, I pretty much have only detected so far on my and my neighbors' property, but I am always so tempted to knock on some doors.

1947...Found 1940,1945wheaties,like five of em.
Also a small sterling key jewelry thing that says key of success on it.

My house was built in 1996. I found a " spill " of 2 ihp, 4 mercs, a shild nickel, and a v nickel, a couple of other coins a few years back. It was right in front of the steps, so I'm sure it was lost by someone moving in or out. ( we are the fourth owners of the house and have been there ten years now. ) other than that it's been clad, trash, and two Kennedy half dollars.

Mine in Wales UK is 1956 but only sitting about 300 yards for this Norman castle under it there's a Roman fort with hot bath.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-10-21-17-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-10-21-17-20.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_2017-01-10-21-15-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-10-21-15-45.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 175
Our house was built around 1850. Most every place in our yard we dig there are about 6 to 10 junk items. So our yard is not the best place to try a new detector. The yard has thousands of 22 brass, nails everywhere and lots of foil. Anything I have dug I remove lots of trash with it.

Around 1930.
Found some silver, wheats, old toys and a few other cool things.

Your home would be a dream site for me, the perfect laboratory to try new settings and methods trying to hit on he best way to find the great stuff and avoid most of the bad.
You probably have some great targets hiding there in a that junk.
If you want to learn, gain skills and get better hunting a lot in the worst most difficult sites possible are the best and fastest way to accomplish this.
I learned mad skills regarding hunting in an insane iron and trash infested site pretty much like how you describe your property.
Slow at first but I learned a ton as time went on.

Learning to cherry pick the good stuff will serve you well in your career in this hobby.
Of course masking is going to be a big problem no matter how good you get at finding the good stuff in that mess so digging lots of the junk to get it out of the way, slowly over time, will also reveal the better treasure.
Since you live there, don't have to travel far and can spend any free time you have to use both methods this is the perfect situation.

Last edited:
1960's too cold but did try my md and found junk will be searching when the weather gets nicer

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Mine was built in 1880 but the property was used for other purposes for several decades before that.

I've found some old coins here but there's so much EMI and iron junk in the ground that its extremely difficult to detect. I still enjoy trying to pick out any kind of iffy signal among all the junk. As DIGGER27 mentioned, its a great way to learn a new machine or try new settings. I've even started sifting sections of the yard and made some pretty neat finds (old tokens, bottles, etc).

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 15492228_10207782169734731_2455033997339521955_n.jpg
    15492228_10207782169734731_2455033997339521955_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 163
1952 built on farm land , found some silver and a million large washers , think they played washer toss? :lol:

Around 1930.
Found some silver, wheats, old toys and a few other cool things.

Your home would be a dream site for me, the perfect laboratory to try new settings and methods trying to hit on he best way to find the great stuff and avoid most of the bad.
You probably have some great targets hiding there in a that junk.
If you want to learn, gain skills and get better hunting a lot in the worst most difficult sites possible are the best and fastest way to accomplish this.
I learned mad skills regarding hunting in an insane iron and trash infested site pretty much like how you describe your property.
Slow at first but I learned a ton as time went on.

1934, here, and I searched the yard several times, hard, with the F2. Now that I have the F5, I plan on going over it once more here soon. :D

Back
Top Bottom