• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Took my son on his first night hunt and hit silver!

TriadHunter

Elite Member
We have a local permission that is an absolute clad factory. The church has an enormous field (probably 2 acres) in front of it. Trash is rare and nearly every hit is a coin, which makes hunts fun. I suggested to my 9 year-old that we do a night hunt to mix it up a bit. Reluctantly he agreed.

We hit numerous coin spills. One had 3 quarters, 2 dimes and 3 pennies. My son was having fun. On our way out I of course insisted we swing until we got to the car. I got a low 80's hit on my MAX, dug and flipped the plug and we knew right away it was either a new dime or silver. Boom, 1950! Sweet! What a great boost for my son (even though I found it). This night hunt renewed his energy towards detecting.

So we came home with $3.72 in clad, plus the 1950 Rosie. All we dug for trash was two cans and two pull tabs. That's it!

Side note: The MAX continues its small target "vacuum cleaning." It hit 6 of the 8 dimes this evening. My son was running the ACE 400 so we had a few instances where we could compare signals.

Here's what I am seeing with the MAX for VDI:
  • Copper pennies: 78 - 80
  • Clad dimes: 81 - 84 (depending on how the coin is sitting in the ground)
  • Clad nickels: 51-52
  • Clad quarters: 85 - 86

Thanks and HH all.

Attachments

• IMG_20171011_211419_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171011_211419_edit.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_20171011_211439_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171011_211439_edit.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20171011_220339_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171011_220339_edit.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20171011_220351.jpg
    IMG_20171011_220351.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20171011_222316_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171011_222316_edit.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 397
Night hunts might have to be my next move. 87 degrees isn't horrible but with an 80 degree dew point it's like walking through a sheet of sweat every time you walk out the door around here.

Nice hunt congrats on the silver

Last edited:
Night hunts might have to be my next move. 87 degrees isn't horrible but with an 80 degree dew point it's like walking through a sheet of sweat every time you walk out the door around here.

Nice hunt congrats on the silver

Thanks! It has been warm/muggy here as well lately. Temps were much better at night but the bugs in certain areas went crazy when our lights were on - so that's one drawback of a night hunt. I wear a powerful LED light off a belt clip aimed down. My son had a headlamp. The bugs were bouncing off his face so I might need to go the belt light route with him. :cool:

Congratulations on your fines. Most of all congratulations on the time spent with your son in the memories made.

Thats some awesome family time there! I think I finally convinced my daughter to go detecting. I ask if she wants to go once in awhile, she has only said yes once before, so I don't push it when I ask. She saw some things I found, then learned about hobo nickels and love tokens. Interest must have finally been sparked because she asked if I would take her detecting again!!! So stoked. Gotta find a great spot so she gets hooked.

Thats some awesome family time there! I think I finally convinced my daughter to go detecting. I ask if she wants to go once in awhile, she has only said yes once before, so I don't push it when I ask. She saw some things I found, then learned about hobo nickels and love tokens. Interest must have finally been sparked because she asked if I would take her detecting again!!! So stoked. Gotta find a great spot so she gets hooked.

Awesome! That's what it's all about.

Back
Top Bottom