Bolo knife handmade from the Philippines ! ......THANKS DAVID !

GKL

Forum Supporter
My thanks to David, he had his wife bring me back a handmade Bolo knife from her recent trip to the Philippines, he shipped it out quickly and I received it in the mail today ! :wow2:

David can tell you about the Bolo knife, how it's so much better than machined assembly line knives, got good solid weight and a long history, these things are made from the leaf spring steel of a car or truck, there was a video he shared showing one actually being made.

Thanks again David !!!!! …….I think you said you have one that is still holding up good after 20 years, so that shows how solid they are !

(It's a really nice size and an added bonus I wasn't expecting was a neat handmade wooden holder !)

(I can't wait to try it out on my backyard "jungle", and being next to woods a good part of my yard close to the woods can get like a jungle :lol:)

Bolo1.jpg Bolo2.jpg

Very nice! Hopefully they made it out of leaf spring from an older vehicle. My GF just bought me a Damascus Kukri:yes:

Last edited:
Now that is a knife !

Funny thing is that I was shopping for another knife today. A daily carry one. The ones I see are too small so I emailed the company.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Videos of bolo making

Neat, check out those videos David shared and see how much effort goes into making each one individually by hand ! :shock:

There are a number of videos available on the internet if you check out bolo making Philippines . The bolo GKL has was made on the island of Bohol in the town of Loay in the middle of the Philippines.

Bolo making in the Philippines

Nice knife! enjoyed the video :yes:

Watching bolos being made in the Philippines is like going back in time , and watching a early blacksmith here. If you watch the videos you will notice no safety equipment , the men just wearing flip flops no shoes , no safety glasses , no gloves . Very hard work using the big hammers all day long , working well together.

very neat,I handmake bone and antlers knives too.So I know its a lot of work.

bolo knives

very neat,I handmake bone and antlers knives too.So I know its a lot of work.

Some of the fancier ones come with water buffalo horn handles, they didn't have any made up with the bone handle when my wife picked that one up. She was short of time and bought most of what they had done for gifts for her co-workers.

The picture of Ken's bolo

David reminded me of a past thread Ken made -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=241299

The above thread includes a photo of Ken Ward (dirtyknees) with his bolo knife while he was visiting there in the Philippines.

For those who haven't seen this photo Ken Ward (dirty knees ) has posted a number of pictures of his yearly trips to the Philippines . This Picture shows Ken and his brother in law wearing large Bolos like they do over there. You will find bolos of various sizes in almost every house over there due to their many uses.

Back
Top Bottom