• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

More lake gold with the Equinox

Jason in Enid

Elite Member
I have been trying to get back to the beach for that last couple weeks. The winds have been really bad, and driving the waves directly onto the beach which made it too rough for the dredge and floating screen.

But the weather finally calmed, and the holiday is past, so I was out the door before sunrise to get a solid bit of detecting. I went back to the EXACT same spot as all my previous hunts ( this year) at this lake. I've probably expanded it from a 20 foot circle to a 50 foot now, but still pulling huge numbers of targets. I think that as I dredge open a hole, I'm getting more signals that I wasnt getting before. I'm starting to get better at getting that 3" nozzle onto the target faster and making smaller holes (which may not be a good thing for me). Some of these targets are so dang deep though!

First off, heres the trash! Thats a whole lot of tabs and glass! You can't really even see it all in the pic. Its pile up in the screen so theres a lot under what you see.
july lake2.jpg

Very first stop to clean out the screen (so the rocks wouldn't sink it!) I found this honker of a 14K white gold band. Its got to be a size 13, its bigger than my wedding band and I wear a 12. Full disclosure, I placed the ring for pic. As soon as I saw it out in the water during cleanout I snatched it and put it in my pouch for safe keeping! But I did find it laying in the riffle tray.
july lake gold.jpg

If you look close at the riffle tray you can see a lot of coins and junk rings and earrings trapped in the expanded metal, just like you hope they would! Most of the coins actually stayed in the box. Only a couple pennies and the the aluminum bits and crown caps went into the screen.
july lake dredge.jpg

Not all the earrings were junk! One of them caught was this pearl with gold stud!
july lake3.jpg

Then, when I got home I found my waterproof phones from Tony had arrived a day early! I cant wait to try them out. I'm sick of hunting in 3 feet and less of water just to keep the wireless functioning!
tony phones.jpg

So, for those keeping score (or at least for MY scoreboard :biggrin: ) thats 4 gold items and 6 silver from this lake beach spot. Some of the coins I've tumbled so far have turned out to be wheat cents, so I'm hoping some old gold or silver coins will come out of there soon too.

Those are great results, how much time did you put in for each time out?

Incredible setup I take my hat off to you my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:dingding: Congrats on the gold and a neat gold finding operation! I'd like to see a video of you in action one day using that.

Then, when I got home I found my waterproof phones from Tony had arrived a day early! I cant wait to try them out. I'm sick of hunting in 3 feet and less of water just to keep the wireless functioning!
My piezos came in on Friday and at my buddy is reworking my Ukraine WP headphones that sounded too low. I should be out on a real water hunt with my Equinox soon! (And not have to keep the control pod above water like my one and only hunt with it. :roll:)

Nice and unique set up we dont see everyday! A suction dredge and a metal detector used in conjunction! Yeah, I have a real nasty place loaded with glass and nails and melted aluminum that also holds old silver coins and gold...Thats where a dredge like yours would really operate sweet! that an a big strong magnet!
Congratulations on that big Gold!

Wow, you've got a very effective rig going there. Imagine having to dig up every single one of those aluminium bits, the dredge makes that a lot easier. Congrats on the golds too :)

I have been digging with a stainless scoop in the past and its a back killer. Then you get all the tiny stuff that falls through the holes. No more of THAT problem with the dredge!

Hey Mud, I'll come up and we can do a 50/50 split.

Are you just straight dredging and not detecting? Could you put up a few pics of your setup? The idea has occurred to me to do the same, but because of the legalities I would get shut down really quick if i did that...

Lol

What are you fine gold prospecting :laughing: The only other scoop good for catching studs , is the Sugarsand which is now Discontinued the last pick , 1st two Xtream Surf Master x-3

Attachments

• P1000912.JPG
    P1000912.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 273
  • P1000920.JPG
    P1000920.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 20111005_5.JPG
    20111005_5.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 272
What are you fine gold prospecting :laughing: The only other scoop good for catching studs , is the Sugarsand which is now Discontinued the last pick , 1st two Xtream Surf Master x-3

Actually, I left all the placer gold setup in the sluice box, just in case any small gold link, studs, beads, etc came up I would be sure to catch them.

Then I found out that I catching a LOT of black sand in there. I'll stockpile it and run it all through a gold cube to check for any fines. I know there is SOME, because I did a test pan of the first run and found a few colors.

That's Cool

No prospecting here at the beach , still have the Garrett pan starter kit :laughing:, but still like watching the prospector show's , good luck with that, Earl PS let me know how Tony's phones work, i have a pair i havn't got wet yet, so far i been using the wireless only to knee deep, hunted the water shallow Sunday 1.80 , 4 sinker's , and a broken pair of shades , it is the beginning of the season here, hope's are high for just a little gold.

Back
Top Bottom