Beach Hunters: where is most jewelry found?

Irons

Forum Supporter
Its time for me to ask the experts as I'm going to be hitting major tourist beaches on Lake Michigan and I want to make the most of my time.

I wanted to make this a poll but thats not an option on this forum.

Where is the majority of the jewelry booty found in your experience?

1) Offshore?

2) At the waterline?

3) Where the people lay out?

Thanks in advance! Irons :cool:

All of the above although this time of year the dry stuff is pretty worked over usually...

I have found gold anywhere on the slope at the bottom, 10 feet out from there or so... low spots, depressions, in the water... I find just as much gold in the wet sand as the water sometimes more...

I find all mine on the towel line. Me Cibola goes crazy in the wet stuff and water so I dont hunt there. But I'ma sure there's waaaaay more in that water than I'm finding ashore.

No gold yet... but...

I just finished reading Jim Brouwer's book "Gold beneath the waves". He has lots of experience and gives tons of pointers along with real logic about why.

The best I can say... under the sand. Near the bottom at the hard pack or "bedrock". It's all there just waiting for us...

Good luck and HH!

D: all of the above.

Where ever the most action is....jewelery will be lost
Take the busy part of the day and watch the people on the beaches you want to hunt, see what they are doing and where. Then go back late in the afternoon or early in the morning when there are no crowds and people to bother you. If 20 people are playing volleyball but nobody is in the water, hunt the volleyball courts.

Any pictures on the internet of those tourist beaches? What do the pictures show the people doing? Google Earth is a GREAT research tool, people now post pictures of their "day at the beach" and sometimes those pictures really show where the crowds are. Research will really help to find your answers.

Awesome, that was the jog my thinking process needed! :cool:

All beaches have activity in different areas.

I find most of my rings in the wet sand at low tide but seem to find more bracelets, chains, pendants, etc up in the towel zone. I don't hunt in the water but I'm sure I'd be finding a lot more if I did! Time to get an Excal I guess....:D

I would say waist deep or deeper. But here in Fl. my area your really dependent on the weather ie. waves. The wet area is picked over pretty good but does product. Then the dry is picked over pretty good here too and the state replenish the beaches ever year so you can only get the most recent stuff. But I prefer deep water, dry, then wet. That's just my preference.

I would say waist deep or deeper. But here in Fl. my area your really dependent on the weather ie. waves. The wet area is picked over pretty good but does product. Then the dry is picked over pretty good here too and the state replenish the beaches ever year so you can only get the most recent stuff. But I prefer deep water, dry, then wet. That's just my preference.

Forgot about the seasonal conditions.
We don't have tides on the great lakes but we have ice. That scrapes and moves tons of sand and gravel both in and out.

Heres last Sunday on a reservoir beach I hunt, not even a great lake. Bit of earth moving going on! More for me to consider when I get there.

march11-1rs.jpg

I got my friend hooked on MD'ing last year. He bought an F2 also. Told him to drive the 17miles from Grand Rapids and hit Grand Haven beach. He went there early evening and just wandered where ppl lay out and found 5 rings within a cpl hrs.

I'd go parking lot area all the way to waist deep...

I hunt a few beaches on southern lake michigan. I prefer the water simply because it's nice & cooler than hunting in the summer heat, with less trash targets, sometimes as much as 20 minutes between any targets. Plan to hunt more of this season on the beach. Sometimes the lake is too rough for folks to go in the water, they still come to the beach, so up in the sand is the place to hunt anyways. Lot's of gold wearing donators don't even get in the water, especially the cooler lake mi water, maybe an occasional knee deep cool off. Each beach is different, the majority of items I find are just fresh drops. Seems like most of the found whopper rings I hear about come from up on the beach. Funnel areas and gathering spots, like concession stands, are spots I've commonly recovered rings/items for people. Just go where the people go.

That photo shows the Atlantic City beach and boardwalk during the annual air show last August. The building at the top right is Boardwalk hall where the Miss America pageant used to be held. The beach in the very far distance in the upper center is where Bigpoppa's Lucy story takes place.

Where is that???!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom