More Success

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Got a call yesterday morning about a wallet that went swimming off the back of a boat. Trouble was he was flying today and needed his ID bad. I told him I would be right down. Weather stunk. It was 52° out. Got in and found it quite fast. I get home to an email about an I phone X that took a dive off a dock railing. This was on the St. Clair River. I knew that was going to be cold! I told them I would have to wait for an hour so I could dry my wetsuit. Absolutely no way was I going to put a wet cold wetsuit on. Stuffed it in the dryer and went to the river an hour later. Got in and went down about 20' along the sea wall. Didn't find it so I went about 10' off the wall in about 25' of water. Spotted it and brought it up. My hands were frozen but I was fine.

Now I have another phone in another marina, a propeller in one and a pair of sunglasses in another. Fun, fun. fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_144728_01.jpg
    IMG_20190512_144728_01.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 808
makes me think you could just cruise along the bottoms of those marinas and pull all kinds of stuff up!

What an awesome job. Everyday, a new adventure.

Nice work and always love to read your posts about such subsurface recoveries! But Man...above and beyond the call of duty there! The St Clair current has got to really be roaring along what with the Spring melt off, not to mention the cold...Be careful Brother...I cant imagine the vis is more than a few feet? Finding a phone 25' down in that current in that vis? Not to mention lugging gear and all that...

I have had two 30 foot sail boats over the past 20 years. A Pearson and a beautiful Morgan! Most of the stuff of mine and my guests gets dropped in the drink when we are docked and drinking, not when we are sailing. Sailing a 10,000 lb 30 foot sail boat is serious business and mostly sailing and not drinking or just lounging around.

Things that I or my guests have lost. lots of sunglasses, tools, flip phones, rings, small bbq grill afixed (not too well) to the railing and lots of glasses set on the edge that topple over when some idiot comes in to dock at more than idle speed.

Funny to watch a tool sink out of site in seconds. No second chance. Don't remember any wallets going overboard, since we change clothes below and leave most stuff like that in our jeans.

As always : Fun to read the rescue-adventures of Scuba-detector. Nice job !

As always : Fun to read the rescue-adventures of Scuba-detector. Nice job !

I agree with Tom. It seems like a perfect combination, metal detecting and scuba diving. Ed the beach hunter dives and detects I think in Lake Tahoe and finds some nice goodies. Boom!

I would love to do what you do when I retire Robert.

'tis the season! Scuba's back in high demand again. Might as well jump right in and get used to it Robert, I think it's going to be a busy summer, and your "underwater recovery guy" reputation is expanding!

Some interesting recoveries. At the beach one year I pulled to smart phones in one day so they are attracted to water here on the East Coast too.

Cool recoveries! Let's say you had to drive 2 hours to go recover something. How much do they pay you generally?

And... so your season begins! :cool3:

Good job Scuba!

R5

Back
Top Bottom