Whats the deal with all the minelab equinox's

Dear Minelab,
In case you read this.

Detector weight is a serious consideration for folks when choosing a model detector.
Multi freq is more power hungry vs single freqs - I think.

So, when you are designing your next multi freq detector there is no need to have a 12,14 or even a 16 hours capable power supply for the detector.
I would rather see you save weight and make a 6 (estimated) hour battery, and offer up spares to be bought- at reasonable price.

I think we are even past the time now to be worried about even having the packs for say AA battery ops as an option.
Even if this would be necessary, if a AA pack full batterie would yield 3-4 hours detecting I think would suffice.

The RNB battery in Etrac could be half its size and do its job nicely.
One example I can think of right off the top of my head.
And lose some weight.
Might even could be a third its size.

I can't believe some folks here are still comparing the Equinox to the AT Pro!! Lmao. Compare it to deus ctx etrac and other higher end machines and you have a case. I used an at pro for years and it is not even in the same realm with the equinox. That is laughable actually. At pro gives virtually no information on targets and has almost no adjustability. The depth stock coil vs stock coil is not close. The separation is where the Nox really shines and there is no comparison in that department either. The AT pro does not equal or beat the nox in any category other than price. AT pro is a great machine in $4-500 market but doesn't even sniff any of the big dogs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good post ! I agree.

Though it does take some real time with the equinox to realize most of this

Not found with another machine.
A little test, not difficult. Check out this...
2mxldsl.jpg
I would say, all should see that dime.

Thanks, TN. I've gone back through several of your and others similar posts and done tests like these. I was shocked at the results -- results that were disappointing with many of machines.

Honestly, that is what started my quest to read books and get some training. Even if the ID is a little off, hearing a signal that prompts awareness is where it's at.

Thanks, TN. I've gone back through several of your and others similar posts and done tests like these. I was shocked at the results -- results that were disappointing with many of machines.

Honestly, that is what started my quest to read books and get some training. Even if the ID is a little off, hearing a signal that prompts awareness is where it's at.

Exactly.
Folks should be aware there are really 3 things that happen.
You don't hear the target hence walk on by.
You hear the target, but based on ID or sound you thinks it's junk, hence walk.
You hear the target and it gives good sound and ID.

If you only adhere to digging the one listed last above, guess what?
You are leaving stuff.

And if you don't hear a target obviously you are leaving too.

Lots of variables involved, but overall some detectors do put odds (although many times just a little higher) in one's favor.

And previously hard hunted sites, just a tad of advantage might be the deal maker of making a great find.

My proving grounds site has been hunted loads and loads with same detector and coils, and other detectors too. When I latch on to a find and do some head to head, most times I can see by the results gotten why I never located the target before. Meaning it was NOT never found previously just because I missed. It was actually detector performance and or coil size related. And it takes multiple events like this to happen before I open up my big mouth as far as a detector's strength over another.

Just a reminder here for folks.
My detector proving grounds is both pasture and hay fields.
Hence their are cattle (heavy) and tractors and implements heavy traversing on.
Hence this weight (depending on ground conditions) could in fact cause a nonferrous object or ferrous object to shift hence afford detection, not previously possible. So the head to head especially using the detector(s) previously used to sweep a site(area) in question where targets are located are a must to try and prove and ensure worthy info and data is gotten and presented.

Not found with another machine.
Um
And you didn't mention coil coil size.

A little test, not difficult.
Check out this pick
Under the plastic cap is a 4-4.25" clad dime buried.
The cap not present when comparing detectors.
I compared Etrac with 6" coil.
Nox with stocker.
Deus with both 9" and 11" LF coils.
2mxldsl.jpg

So the results were.
Etrac a pass, gives a 42/43 conductive number in screen with tone to boot.
I even jacked up the ferrous to 18 in quick mask screen, Etrac still hits the dime.

Deus with 11" LF coil.
No cigar period, used a load of settings to include all freqs, reactivty.
Deus with 9" LF coil.
The only signal I got I would rate, I knew the dime as there.
I wouldn't dig unless I was digging potluck signals.

Nox using park 2 speeds 6 and 7 bingo.
ID in screen resorting 19-22 with and occasional 23-25 on sweeps.
Definitely Nox telling me to put the brakes on and start doing more ideal coil sweeps and position.

So yeah, this dime would have lived another day if a Deus person would have swung over, especially if they were using the 11" LF coil.

Didn't check using Etrac and stocker, too lazy to change my coil.

Don't underestimate Nox with that big ole 11" coil on it.

Btw if I change the coin to a Nickel, it will be here where eNox trumps the Etrac badly. For ID.

Yep, i couldn't agree more, the Deus +LF coils are defo out witted by the Nox, especially on deep low/mid conductors, on ID numbers 10 or below the difference is quite freaky to be honest.

Yep, i couldn't agree more, the Deus +LF coils are defo out witted by the Nox, especially on deep low/mid conductors, on ID numbers 10 or below the difference is quite freaky to be honest.

And remember the Nox was likely far far along when the hf coils Deus were released, meaning Minelab was definitely looking at and aware of Deus and LF coil shortcomings. Plus likely other detectors like the At Pro.

Yeah, Minelab just didn't release similarly performing VLF detector as many other models with Nox, quite the contrary.

Problem is some folks do a few comparions on targets using Nox and a few other models and don't quite see the advantages Nox has. Maybe a good idea to go to a real hard hunted site, then targets located with Nox might have a higher chance of showing the advantages vs other models. Might not be night and day difference, but any advantage really is significant when you think about it.
The deeper the nonferrous all detectors start mimicking one another (the better) ones, the envelope for detection starts closing up quick. But the targets in the 2-8" deep are definitely out there to be sniffed out with Nox. Notice Insaid 2" deep. Some folks may find this hilarious. Don't laugh too much. You might get egg on your face, when your Bud with Nox ask you to come over and have a listen say with another model detector. And you can't hear or the target IDs as junk. And presto a good one pops out of the ground.

You think I didnt know that you Dummy?! :laughing::laughing: 'Opinion' makes more sense though, for its pretty hard to quit a religion and opiates...Everybody has an opinion. ..Opinions can change with proper marketing efforts, like with the NOX...:laughing::laughing:

Detecting is a great opiate/religion substitute!...the whole World goes away and a guy is peaceful with the phones on...just chilling along, no pain, no thoughts about troubles, just in the Dirt/Surf church spiritual zone......except with no debilitating side effects....that my opinion on the matter!

Yes , I thought you didn't know that you dummy !

Equinox 800

yes, you can find one used for sale,i think there are more used ones for sale than new ones.

I recently became a 600 owner. I am impressed with the price for performance. It is really hard to argue against it.

Tnss

The Equinox is light enough, batteries should last atleast 10 hours, as i have hunted 8-10, they do need to replace the lame strait shaft , otherwise i am happy now that i replaced the shaft with a CF strait shaft , happy Nox hunting.

The Equinox is light enough, batteries should last atleast 10 hours, as i have hunted 8-10, they do need to replace the lame strait shaft , otherwise i am happy now that i replaced the shaft with a CF strait shaft , happy Nox hunting.

Sounds good Earl.
I am still using stock shaft.

I may try an aftermarket this fall.

The weight of the nox is definitely nice compared to the fbs.

Definitely. There are two kind of people buying the Nox--those coming from the EX/ET/CTX line of FBS machines, and everyone else. The former is absolutely going to love the Nox's weight, bright display and speed, but may gripe about its less accurate ID and depth info. Now, if Minelab could only combine the two, but that is probably a year or two down the road...

People say the exact same thing about the Compadre....for a lot less.

The Tesoro's are great machines, all right--light, fast and in the hands of a skilled user can beat digital machines that cost a lot more in many situations. But, it's really apples and oranges, at least, to compare the analog/audio-only/mono-tone Tesoro to a digital machine at the level of the Nox. That said, it would be interesting to do tests of the two in various terrain; but, you would want to put the Nox up against a Tesoro with ground balance and good discrimination, such as the Tejon or Vaquero.

I modified the stock shaft. I installed new Cam locks after I sawed off the old ones. I have done this on other shafts as well because sand destroys twist locks. No more wobble. I also had to drill a new hole in the upper shaft for the spring of the middle shaft to seat in. No big deal. 24 bucks and a vast improvement.

Back
Top Bottom