Ants

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
We have had about the warmest winter/spring I can remember, and it brings more insects. I have had outside AC problems twice now already, ants in the contactor, causing the outside unit to either fail to spin, or to lock on continiously. The cause??? Ants. If your unit fails, pop the cover and look for ants. Power down at the breaker and spray with an insect killer, then use a contact spray wash on the contactor. Find a good poison to lace around the AC...Google has lots on this issue.

I imagine that many people pay Ortho big bucks to fix a simple problem. Save yourself money. martin

I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords and want them to know I can be very useful!

My intent was to thwart anyone from going automatic and calling an expensive service. Google is your friend, and Google was what prompted my discovery on the outside unit hanging. If anyone here doesn't use the information highway for information to daily issues, you are missing a lot. The AC issue just happens to be prevalent right now. Do you know you can, and most likely will, incur a $300 bill for something so easily fixed yourself? That more than pays for two Garretts PP. martin

My contactor was indeed burnt in the end of things, and hung again. You can't simply buy these from Home Depot, and an AC shop will hit you up for at least 2X from what the Ebay sellers ask. Preventative care is the key if you have a good AC system today. Just warning ya. martin

Geckos are the issue here...And i've heard of big iguanas chewing the insulation off of the copper lines...

I for one, welcome our new gecko overlords...:laughing: Sorry guys, too many episodes of the Simpsons in my blood!

I've had the same problem a time or two and had to free up the contacts and clean them... good advice !!!

We've got too many darn small ants everywhere I look. If you leave some food out now, the ants are all over it! I even found about 15 crawling on my vacuum:) Ant traps just don't seem to be as effective....as stomping on them that its:)

Back
Top Bottom