Is metal detecting worth it?

Yes, it's worth it for me. Even the days where i find squat are fun days. The idea that that next target could be "the big one" keeps me going. Getting out to the beach or an old ranch site in the middle of nowhere, seeing something different and interesting which most people haven't seen and trying to understand the history of the place based upon your finds....gotta love it!

You can't come into this hobby thinking you're going to make money. Although there is a chance. In time the metal detector pays itself off. There are people who have bought a 200-300 detector and in time find things worth something. They sell their "things" and end up buying a more "expensive" metal detector. Some people just have "luck"

Have about two grand in my detector and digger ect ect.......wouldn't trade this hobbit for anything else

You make it sound like the point of hobbies is to make back the money you shelled out in order to do the hobby in the first place...:?: To me it's kind of like fishing in that you just never know what you're going to get and there's always the chance of hooking (or finding) something really special...and there's no way I've caught enough fish to pay for all my fishing gear! :lol: I also really enjoy being outdoors and of course finding old coins and jewelry! :D If your motivation is simply to pay off your gear it probably isn't the hobby for you.

Stewart, you said it all. In fact, my son and I refer to MD as "dirt fishing". The way I explain the hobby to people who ask is "Some kids went in the woods and spent all day digging in random spots to find buried treasure. I was one of those kids and still am, but now I have help with my MD".

Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

No offense, but how do you know how/what people will find?? I'd say the majority of us don't do this for the money. I'm quite sure I'll get the amount of enjoyment out of the hobby that will equal or exceed the money I've currently spent on equipment. You are the only one who can make that kind of judgement for yourself.

Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

No offense, but how do you know how/what people will find?? I'd say the majority of us don't do this for the money. I'm quite sure I'll get the amount of enjoyment out of the hobby that will equal or exceed the money I've currently spent on equipment. You are the only one who can make that kind of judgement for yourself.

It's a good way for me to relax. I have a high stress job so I need time to wind down. I invested in some decent equipment, it is a hobby to me. I have found some cool stuff and I love history and holding an old coin I just dug or an old button or other item keeps me searching.

On a poor day, I may pay for my batterys. On a fair day, I may pay for my gas. But, once in a while I find a silver or gold ring or something of real value. Just keep swinging.

If you have to question "why" you're in the hobby, then you're probably in the wrong hobby......:yes::yes:

Instead of coins/jewelry, sometimes I "find" a breathtaking sunrise over the mountains, "find out" that most of the cops in this town are friendly, or find a nice neighbor I had never met before.

Sometimes "rewards" come in all different sorts of forms.....;)

Dusty

The guy next door to me spent over $20,000 for a bass boat. You think he's ever going to catch $20,000 worth of bass? Sure, it is possible he might win a tournament, but probably never will. Heck, he even lets the fish go after he catches them! He bought it because he enjoys the 'hunt' of fishing. I have another friend who spent about $2,000 on a shotgun that he uses mostly for 'shooting clays' (used to be called skeet shooting) and occasionally takes dove hunting. What's the return rate on that? I have always thought of metal detecting as a cheaper and more fun equivalent of bass fishing. And I can have the top-of-the line toys for my hobby for less than either of these guys spent, and I can go anytime I want to, just about anywhere I am, and yes, eventually it could pay for itself. But that's is a secondary consideration (and something I use to justify it to my wife!). I do it because it is fun. Finding a silver half dollar makes me feel as happy as my fishing friend feels about landing a 13 pound bass. The fact that my silver half is worth about $14 is just icing on the cake.

It provides me with peace of mind, relaxation, an outlet for my curiosity, an education with the research, excitement every time I get a good signal, get's my heart racing when I dig a coin, exercise, fresh air.

Yeah, it's all Worth it without doubt.

I would say anyone who even asked that question should rethink their choice of making detecting a hobby.

It isn't about "worth." It is about everything I mentioned above!:yes:

i'm in this hobby for fun, but probably someday i can find some good.

two months between coins and cheap jewelry

$50

You never know what you will find. This keeps me going and loving it. Some times you just find junk, some times you find beautiful stuff. You can't get the same feeling from an X Box sitting on the couch thumbing a control pad all day.:D I think most of us do this because of the unknown. Just like fishing, you get a huge fish some days and others just crabs.

It's about value--whether it is PEACE, HAPPINESS, COMMUNING WITH NATURE, or MONEY.

Sometimes it's the excitement of 'maybe I will find this or that', and when you do find something, it brings you HAPPINESS. Finding a buried treasure. (Wish I could be a pirate, don't you?)

Sometimes it's the quiet of a Sunday morning, when Jack leaves to hunt, and I don't have to pick up his stuff, think about his stuff, change my day to deal with his stuff, make him a meal, and it brings us both PEACE. (yes Jack, please, get the &$#& out of here, so you are happy) (Have you any idea how much counseling costs when people are not happy from spending too much time together and they have nothing left to talk about?)

Sometimes it's walking (good exercise) feeling the breeze of being outside (good fresh air) digging in the earth (like gardening) and when you are done you've COMMUNED WITH NATURE. It's a spiritual experience and that is why I sometimes go MD with him.

We could have this hobby/sport Per Year OR:
$2500 counseling costs (ten sessions)
$500+ money, gold/silver assets (stuff found)
$1500 retreats to find some fun in life (vacations to 'find ourselves')
$2500 role playing games and outings to be pirates (ahoy my matey)

There are a good in many things to do for fun, this is one of them. It's a hobby or sport. It's not a job. It adds value to life, if you choose to see it that way.

Jack's Jill that came tumbling down after

My question is, did this person end up ever getting into it? LOL

I agree with what everyone says. It's about being outside and working the machine. I'm just as happy finding clad as I am silver.

Is it worth it?

Howdy! All hobbies are expensive! Fishing, Hunting, Golf, I could go on and on!..You will find enough money and trinkets to pay for your machine, If you put in the time. If thats what your goal is? metal detecting may not be for you!..The thrill for me is researching an area, finding old silver coins and relics.
It's the history that get's to me!..For me, the old stuff is what I search for. clad is nice to find! I take all of the clad coins and put it in a savings account for my new granddaughter:crybaby:. Borrow a machine or go with a friend, when you dig your first coin, you will know!:clapping: Good luck! Get out there and dig!..HH..C-Dog

Back
Top Bottom