Question on old civil war bullets.

Jare

First off, I did not find these but inherited them. I have a musket ball, definitely civil war, possibly older, a 3 ringer bullet, and the most interesting piece. Like the bullets it is made of lead, but it seems like someone flattened a bullet and made it into a button or something of the sort. The hole in the middle was clearly made by a knife. There is a pattern scratched into the top. Does anyone know for sure what it is? Thanks, Jare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 184
First off, I did not find these but inherited them. I have a musket ball, definitely civil war, possibly older,

You cannot say it is 'definitely civil war'. It is a musket ball, beyond that there is no way of knowing how old it is or even if it was used in a conflict as opposed to hunting or target shooting.

Based on the patina, type of metal, weight, size, and crude seam from when it was made I can infer it is from at least civil war era, possibly older.

Based on the patina, type of metal, weight, size, and crude seam from when it was made I can infer it is from at least civil war era, possibly older.

Patina is not a reliable indicator of age, neither is the size. All musket balls are lead and thus are the same weight for a given size. Crude seams occur on musket balls throughout history, it just indicates it was likely hand cast.

I have several pre civil war Colts that are cased. I use authentic 150 year old Cold molds to cast lead bullets to go in the cases. After a year or so the patina on the lead makes it impossible to tell if the bullet is a year old or 150 years old.

Back
Top Bottom