School Me

MKW

Ok, so my wife comes home from the beach today and says that there is a 2.5ft wall of sand that she had to climb down to get to the water. This normally not the case at this beach. Now, I guess that I need to go in the morning to check it out, but how should I hunt it. I would guess that I should hunt at the base of the wall, and beyond, towards the water, but I'm new to this beach thing.
Help.

Zig zag up/down from the base of the sand wall to the water and take note where your digging targets and the weight/density of those targets. If near the water and your walking on coral chunks and rock, stay there and go very slowly with your detector sensitivity as high as you can get it while listening for faint/repeatable signals.

Zig zag up/down from the base of the sand wall to the water and take note where your digging targets and the weight/density of those targets. If near the water and your walking on coral chunks and rock, stay there and go very slowly with your detector sensitivity as high as you can get it while listening for faint/repeatable signals.

Thanks. There are no coral chunks or rocks, but I will zig/zag as suggested. My detector (Vanquish 540) does pretty well in the salt, so I will keep the sensitivity high.

^ ^ this ^ ^ Spoken like one who is well-schooled in this.

Assuming what your wife saw is a true "cut", and assuming it's not going to sand in overnight, then : The targets can sometimes be up high near the cut. Other times they are in a "band" (a parallel on the beach) mid-way down. And on some occasions (seemingly rarer) they are at the water's edge. But once you find it, then you'll probably notice all the targets are in the same parallel. So for example if they are at the base of the cut, then you'll probably notice that there's little to be found at the water's edge. And vice-versa. Just depends on mother nature's mood of where she chose to place that day's heavier targets.

Once you start finding any targets (or hear iron) , circle around them to see if they're part of a pattern .

Give us a report !

^ ^ this ^ ^ Spoken like one who is well-schooled in this.

Assuming what your wife saw is a true "cut", and assuming it's not going to sand in overnight, then : The targets can sometimes be up high near the cut. Other times they are in a "band" (a parallel on the beach) mid-way down. And on some occasions (seemingly rarer) they are at the water's edge. But once you find it, then you'll probably notice all the targets are in the same parallel. So for example if they are at the base of the cut, then you'll probably notice that there's little to be found at the water's edge. And vice-versa. Just depends on mother nature's mood of where she chose to place that day's heavier targets.

Once you start finding any targets (or hear iron) , circle around them to see if they're part of a pattern .

Give us a report !

Very good. Thanks!

The closer you are to the rock or hard pan or wherever gold and fishing sinkers stop that is the sweet spot, you know, the base or Bedrock!:yes:

Ok...THE KOB is going to tell you a very rare kept secret that nobody here does. Until maybe now. This requires some balance , coordination , athleticism and not everyone is capable of doing it.
This has produced some incredible finds on cuts from 2'-8' tall and about 30-40' in length. Particularly where the cut has a scallop and finds are being made directly at the base of the cut and beyond.

After I clean the cut out , I take off my gear and stand about 1-2' on top of the cuts edge and slide (or surf down) the cut on my feet ! Knocking completely down the wall of sand like a kid. It's fun and a little dangerous on bigger cuts. Enough of it is knocked down to where I'm comfortable walking on that mound swinging my detector. That's the hardest part.

Many guys will swing there detector up and down the vertical face of a cut , but this is harder and you can only penetrate so far into it. Then you have to dig it out. My way produces far better results but can take some time bringing down the face. Again this is only if the base of the cut is producing and I know there is more. Also helps facilitate the next tides erosion and you don't have to worry about other competitors beating you to it.

Your welcome !

I didn't get to go this morning and I'm golfing in the morning, so I won't get to go till Monday morning. I have surely missed out on this one, but we got this hurricane coming at us, so next week could get interesting. Can go every morning next week, if I decide to.
Thanks for all the info!

FAIL!!!

Probably should of went to the Golf forum, asked a few questions, then went metal detecting....:yes:
I couldn't have said it better. Thought this guy needed some immediate help on a "cut". Teaches THE KOB not to give out treasured secrets ! Do as I say , not as I do ? Wimps out to go play golf. Are you kidding me. And he calls himself a marine ? Ha...

I couldn't have said it better. Thought this guy needed some immediate help on a "cut". Teaches THE KOB not to give out treasured secrets ! Do as I say , not as I do ? Wimps out to go play golf. Are you kidding me. And he calls himself a marine ? Ha...

I am paying attention to the wise and knowledgeable KOB. You're advice does not go unnoticed. I am now looking forward to destroying a wall of sand! I broke the news to my wife this morning that there will come a time when I will have to dart out of the house with my gear to take advantage of some favorable conditions. She said, "no problem....you do you boo boo"....so I guess its cool..

I didn't get to go this morning and I'm golfing in the morning, so I won't get to go till Monday morning. I have surely missed out on this one, but we got this hurricane coming at us, so next week could get interesting. Can go every morning next week, if I decide to.
Thanks for all the info!

You should have gone the moment your wife told you about it... each tide cycle will change a beach...

Dang, yall are hard on a fella. LOL And, yes, I should have gone yesterday. But, I will not skip golf to go to a beach that I usually don't find anything but pulltabs on. It's hell being retired and having so many hobbies. Yall should feel sorry for me. :p

On a serious note, the advice will be put to good use in the future. :chaplin:

What Craig said but around here your window could be gone within 1-2 hours.
No exaggeration.

You should have gone the moment your wife told you about it... each tide cycle will change a beach...

Yup. I have seen beaches, after storm erosion, where you couldn't take a step in any direction without getting multiple beeps. And every single one was a heavy target (coins, sinkers, etc...). All the light stuff (aluminum ) washed out ! Then we get chased out by the incoming tides. We return the next day and ........ totally sterile :mad: A foot of sand can come in overnight. :?:

Conversely, conditions can improve overnight, if the swells and on-shore winds continue to erode. It's all a cr*p-shoot.

Dang, yall are hard on a fella. LOL And, yes, I should have gone yesterday. But, I will not skip golf to go to a beach that I usually don't find anything but pulltabs on. It's hell being retired and having so many hobbies. Yall should feel sorry for me. :p

On a serious note, the advice will be put to good use in the future. :chaplin:

You came here looking for advice... we don't sugar coat things here... would you rather we lied to you? :lol:

I used to play golf... but I gave that up to find gold... :D

What Craig said but around here your window could be gone within 1-2 hours.
No exaggeration.

Mike... I was on a spot found 3 gold rings in 45 minutes... I made the mistake of taking my wife who quickly became bored so I took her home missed the rest of the tide....when I went back next morning 3 feet of sand covered that spot..

Mike... I was on a spot found 3 gold rings in 45 minutes... I made the mistake of taking my wife who quickly became bored so I took her home missed the rest of the tide....when I went back next morning 3 feet of sand covered that spot..
Same thing here not long ago. Good tides and waves. 3' vertical cut with what I call a "slanted hook" slope. Coins galore , silver and a few gold. 1st cut in awile at this beach. I was tired , dark with no headlamp. All by myself. I figured I would go get some sleep and finish cleaning it out all day the next morning. That was a big mistake.... Gone...3' of sand covering everything. Weird thing is , most of the time at this beach I can usually hunt this for 2-3 days straight before it fills in. Not this time. Strike while the iron is hot...

Mike... I was on a spot found 3 gold rings in 45 minutes... I made the mistake of taking my wife who quickly became bored so I took her home missed the rest of the tide....when I went back next morning 3 feet of sand covered that spot....

... I figured I would go get some sleep and finish cleaning it out all day the next morning. That was a big mistake.... Gone...3' of sand covering everything. ....

It's horror stories like these that are what beach-md'r nightmares are made of.

I recall the El Nino of 1982-83 , when I was about 21-ish yrs. old, was months of good hunting. And I always look back with regret for not simply quitting my job and doing F/T md'ing for that winter. I'd have made a killing. A friend of mine who was not working at the time, so he was able to hunt 7 days per week, had a 5 day period where every day was NO LESS than 100 silver coins. And sometime 7 to 10 gold rings on those days. He literally had to go to his car and unload his apron.

On one of those days, he described how there was un-ending targets, so he figured "I'll just come back tomorrow and finish up". And ... yup, you guessed it ..... the next day that zone had all sanded in :mad:

Back
Top Bottom