how to rid the green off a coin

metaldetectxlt

i pull a coin every once in a while that has a flackey- green like algea?...on my coins...just wondering what to clean it with? other then toothbrush and soapy water...is vinagar ok?
thanks happy hunting

soaking in olive oil for awhile will loosen it up then just use a tooth pick to pop it off....if you suspect the coin to be of any real value dont do anything to it. vinegar will clean it off for sure but will also destroy the coin:yes:

I tend to like the green Patena myself.On old copper tho I use warm Peroxide and let the coin soak in it a few days.I keep it warm by using a small po pourie(prob spelled that all wrong) electric warming plate.As long as the solution is warm it will keep bubbling/cleaning.I wouldnt clean anything that is valuable.Good Luck ,Happy hunting.

Best way (without a doubt) is to stick the coin inside a fresh potatoe for an overnight.....the coin will be as clean as can be and all the green gunk will be off.....trust me.....

Best way (without a doubt) is to stick the coin inside a fresh potatoe for an overnight.....the coin will be as clean as can be and all the green gunk will be off.....trust me.....

that is the weirdest suggestion I've ever heard! :lol:

it works

I found something yesterday. was completely green had no idea for sure what it was. Tried the potatoe idea for the first time last night. I wish I would have taken before after pics. woke up his morning to find a 1900 indian head penny in near perfect condition and a potatoe that was green and black.

The potatoe: endless uses! I am a welder by trade and every know and then I burn my eye's, take a potatoe slice in half and put it on your eye's for an hour and the burning is gone :D Do you have a pic of that IH rusthunter? Thank's for the tip Homerun04 I will try it out also.

it works.

Try it...!! You will be amazed...! Seriously....

I used to do that a lot. It works, but it turns your coppers, red or yellowish. So now we need something to turn them brown:lol::lol::lol: It took me about 2 weeks to get the Indians clean from that tough green that we have around here. But be warned, all the pits and flaws will show. I used to rub mine in baking soda to neutralize the potato acid.

I've got a mystery copper coin....

Just put it in olive oil. Maybe I should try the potatoe ? Okay I'll try it in the morning.
Marty

I think the price of potatoes will raise :cool:

nice tip pal, Ill try it

I tried the potato the other night on some coppers and it got rid of the green but they all came out black. Let me guess...I gotta put the black one's inside of an eggplant now...

I tried the potato the other night on some coppers and it got rid of the green but they all came out black. Let me guess...I gotta put the black one's inside of an eggplant now...

:lol:You all are hillarious.:lol: Now i'm gonna have to put some coins in a potato when i get home tonight. We'll see how they look in the morning.

How do you do this? cut the potato in half or just make a small notch in the potato with a knife and pop the coin in? I just found 4 IHs under some sidewalk and you cant read a thing.

Back
Top Bottom