Harbor Freight Pinpointer

Ryanhawkerxp

Took the plunge today and ordered one. They have a 20 percent off coupon online so I figured I would try it out. Total outlay with discount and shipping $16.40. BTW new to the hobby. This looks like a good site. Bill

I too just got one. Best of luck with it. It's pretty decent for starting out. I know I like it alot better than having to scan the pile with my detector. Still learning but it's helping me. And the 20% off was sweet. I use those in my local store everytime I go there.

I used one of those HF pin pointers too when I first started out. They got the job done just fine for my light detecting. Although I've since upgraded to a garrett pro pointer and never looked back!

Took the plunge today and ordered one. They have a 20 percent off coupon online so I figured I would try it out. Total outlay with discount and shipping $16.40. BTW new to the hobby. This looks like a good site. Bill

Welcome to the forums!

I used the Centech for one week before ordering my Garrett PP. Save up your money finds and get that Garrett, you'll be twice as productive.

Welcome from SoCal...and yes...save up for the PP.....it is the best....!

I bought one for my son last year. Takes some adjustment to get any sort of range out of it, but it's better than nothing. I still love my Sunray inline though.

Welcome to the forum from the Northern Catskill Mtn's of New York.

We have a number of pin pointers but my wife prefers the HF pp. I used it for the first few months but got the 'fever' and have 4 now. You might consider the Garrett pro pointer later but will get use out of the HF. There are threads on this forum to modify it, if you are of the mind to, they improve it but not enough to compete with the Garrett.

Happy Hunting

Actually, it competes quite well, actually works as intended, inch or so is all you really need. $17 verses $130, cheaper to toss it, than send it back for repairs. No heartbreaks, if you open it up to mess around, and you mess it up instead. Don't need a box of tissues, if it's lost, stolen, or destroyed. Performance, at 8 times the price of the HF, the Propointer should be digging holes, or filling them in, or something the HF can't do.

4 inch range? Gee, I pretty much knew that, before I cut the plug... I'm sure it's sturdy and dependable (better be for the price), the HF is, well kind of cheap construction, won't take much abuse, but that's what digging tools are for.

It's like driving a Ford Pinto to work, or driving a Mustang, both will get you there.

Welcome. I modded mine so that it vibrates... then the switch went out so i dont have a pp now... :roll:

I opened up my HF pinpointer to tweek it a little...Seemed to extend the range some..But then the button failed..I replaced the button..This thing gets me by..But I ordered a pro pointer to speed things up.

:oldguy:Having just paid off my Vaquero, I couldn't afford a Pro-Pointer so I ordered the HF pointer. If I find I want one better I'll spend the $127 for the Garrett...we'll see.:tiphat:

I have one too. The thing I really don't like about them is that you have to practically touch the metal (unless it's large) to find it. I can't tell you how many times I couldn't find a dime or penny in the pile of dirt or missed it entirely in that pile. It really adds to you recovery time. I will be getting a Garrett though. It will work for you for now. Good luck and welcome!!

Hello and welcome from Houston, Texas.

I too am a newbie and got a HF pointer, I am thinking about modding a new coil for it to see if I can do more with it.

But even as it is it works alright for the tests I have performed with it.

Back
Top Bottom