Yet another pinpointer post

RichieSoprano

Ok. (Takes a looong deep breath). I have been reading ALOT of posts and the general concensus is to buy a top flight PP. That being said, I also see a TON of posts about repairs and problems with ALL brands, Carrott included. I also looked at the Deeply Despised alternative: the 49 dollar ricomax or the 23 dollar clone...which also have their issues.
I'M GONNA YELL HERE: Manufacturers, you're killin me here. A hundred bucks really? And some of the faults are pretty sad from what I have read. At the same time if the el cheapos last about the same amount of yime....and seem to have the SAME problems....why NOT buy the cheapies & when they go to PP heaven just pull another cheapie outta the drawer where its been waiting?
If it sounds like I'm torn here...its because I'm torn here!
Lastly sorry...just wanted to vent...and NO I STILL dont know what I am gonna buy.

I don't see where the cheapo PP's are lasting as long as their name brand counterparts, build quality and components are what you're paying the bigger money on. IMO

My carrot has been great the entire time I own it. And I abuse it. Every cheap pointer I have used has been garbage. when i hunt with others who use the cheap ones, enevabitly they ask to borrow mine at some point lol. Also hear great things about mine lab and whites pointers.

Spend the $100. You won't regret it. You should have it paid off in the next 15 clad hunts!

I own 1 of the original Garrett black pinpointers, 1 carrot, and 1 carrot ZLynk and they all function fine. I've never had any problems with any one of them. Any product can have an issue. Just remember that most people will only tell about the bad experience they had and not the good. That means that for every problem there are hundreds out there that work perfectly.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Sometimes it is ....ahem...interesting to sepsrate fact from fiction on the net and I appreciate folks like you who help me keep perspective.

Check out the Xpointer by Quest (formerly Deteknix). Had mine a couple years now. Love it. $89 on Amazon. Im also on my 3rd ProFind 35. The first two died of water intrusion.

Carrot is the best in the game IMO, and they're customer service is arguably the best in the business. Garrett has a warranty as well. You buy a cheap pointer and it breaks, its not getting fixed more than likely. Most of those cheap pointers dont have warranties. You will be sending it back in no time. Save yourself time, money, and stress, and buy a good one from the get go :my2cents:

Thanks Cliff. Sometimes it is ....ahem...interesting to sepsrate fact from fiction on the net and I appreciate folks like you who help me keep perspective.

People give more complaints than praise on the internet. Garrett has sold a gazillion of those pinpointers. If they had serious quality control issues it would be widely reported.

Once you get the basic gear for metal detecting there's really not much else to spend (as long as you can resist buying a new detector every year). If metal detecting is replacing some other hobby that's more expensive, then that's a pretty good argument.

People give more complaints than praise on the internet. Garrett has sold a gazillion of those pinpointers. If they had serious quality control issues it would be widely reported.

Once you get the basic gear for metal detecting there's really not much else to spend (as long as you can resist buying a new detector every year). If metal detecting is replacing some other hobby that's more expense, then that's a pretty good argument.
That's my point exactly. The carrot is hard to beat for the money.

Cliff

Ha! A little 4" coil costs as much as a simple backup detector! I remember getting a Bounty Hunter coil for $29! Now here's the thing about a pinpointer- A good one with 360° detection, vibration mode can be placed in a plastic bag (if not waterproof), and search the shallows without worry of complainers at the beach:cool3:

The depth of the Whites TRX is hard to beat. The best thing Whites ever made.

Ok. Lets play pinpointer poll. Can somebody do a poll on this site. You know...with percentages. And the rules gotta be really honest watcha own, no bashing, and each vote HAS to give one plus and one minus of their own pinpointer. ONLY what each person owns. I'll be watchin close, oh...and if they are using a studfinder or other device just make a separate category sayin studfinder to cover that "brand." since i dont know how to set that up can someone do that pls?

My Pinpointer Rule #1.
Regardless of the brand you own, NEVER dig with your pinpointer!

Thot i saw they had one that looked like orange, etc. Coulda been someone else. But nonetheless thats the general idea for a backup...around mid 20 dollar range. But the Deteknix/Quest regular XP got really solid reviews and very very few reported issues....and it costs just under ninety bucks.

Back
Top Bottom