Recent Montana digs plus amazing Silver Spill!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Here is a summary of a few recent digs in Western Montana. Have not been out a ton lately due to thunderstorms and heavy rain showers.

Headed over to Dillon Montana for some bottle digging and detecting. My local friend has an AT Pro, just like I do, and we spent probably a full day detecting over the course of a few days, between squall lines and thunder and lightning. Interesting to learn that someone had come up I-15 from Utah to detect the town, as a couple of places we asked permission at mentioned this guy... that he had done curb strips, and some private yards with permission. We found a ton of newer coins, clad quarters, dimes, nickels and copper Memorial pennies. My finds from this trip were 2 Sterling rings, a very nice Silver Washington quarter, an early Sterling Silver spoon with monogram, and a couple of Silver Rosie dimes. Still had fun but it was hard work with sparse good targets. A few tokens (fairly modern) were found from Dillon and Helena. Also a cool Montana Dept. American Legion pin.

Came home and had a chance to hit a tiny front yard the next day, and the nice 1957 Ben Franklin silver half dollar popped out. It did not ring up that good on the Pro, at 80-81, but my wife (who was with me) said she saw it on edge before I popped it out.

Today I had a fair amount of time to detect, so my local Ravalli County detecting buddy and I headed up to the big city north of us. We detected a couple of parking strips, and I found a 1946 Silver Quarter, a 1919-D Mercury dime (with my old eyes I was hoping it might be a 16-D!) and lots of newer coins. My friend was on a silver drought, finding wheaties and newer coins, but he sure made up for it at our first front yard permission!

We started detecting the yard, and every coin was an old Wheatie. That made us slow down and hunt carefully. My friend called me over to double check a good signal that his Nox 600 had found. Definitely a high tone, 87-88 on my AT Pro. I offered to dig the plug for him, and about 3 inches down the rim of Big Silver showed up! He pulled the Walking Liberty half out and we were happy! I wondered why that coin didn't ring up higher, and checking the hole with my pinpointer, it vibrated solidly, so more coins. The next coin out was the Silver Washington Quarter, then the Silver Rosie, then the Silver War Nickel (coins shown in the last photo). My friend hit the silver quadfecta with 4 silvers, 4 dif types, and 4 dif denominations in one hole! And the coins even came out in sequence, from Half Dollar down to Silver Nickel!

That great find gave me new energy, and I found a Silver Merc and part of a Sterling Silver spoon in the adjacent parking strip, and a Silver War Nickel in that yard. Our last permission gave me another Silver Washington Quarter, another old Silver Merc, a Sterling St. Christopher medallion, and a cool 1909 Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition large pin from Seattle, Washington. Today was a fun dig, temps in the mid 70's with low humidity, soft moist soil, lots of sunshine and good people we met while detecting.

Photos in sequence are of some of the relics, then some of the tokens and odd finds along with some of the Wheaties, then my total silver finds, and my friends Amazing Silver Spill as the coins sat in the dirt on his digging towel. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• digs1.jpg
    digs1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 519
  • digs2.jpg
    digs2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 512
  • digs3.jpg
    digs3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 516
  • garysilver.jpg
    garysilver.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
thanks for the compliments!

and goodtimecharlie, yep, I am happy to come home with ONE silver per detecting opportunity, so am very content to come home with multiples!

You’re killing it out there in The Treasure State!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's some dandy nice silver! I love the script on those old silver spoons.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Tundra, this one is the first Sterling Silver spoon I've dug since I started detecting last April. Came out of a front yard of a ca 1905 home.

Thank you! The silver spoon was really cool, I was worried it was some plated thing but turned out to be Sterling! And yes, a killer spill, glad I got to see it live and in person!

Congrats to you both, you done very well! Nice rounded hunts.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Certainly a nice collection of silver and other finds. Nothing better than having days like that and being able to share the excitement with a buddy. Congratulations to both of you.:yes: Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! And yes, it is more fun to detect with a buddy. We can share good finds, have a friendly competition, and be happy for everything found.

Back
Top Bottom