Ground Balance Question

Charlives

Elite Member
Most of my sites GB over 80. I balance every 20 min or so, or when terrain changes. I found a new site yesterday where the GB was consistently in the middle 50s. I understand the concept of canceling out the minerals but confused about one thing.
Does a lower number allow less depth than a higher number? Or is the number immaterial and just the machine canceling out the a specific mineral amount to allow you the same depth at all/most sites? Thanks for your thoughts, C

gb

Interesting question as far as ground reading, ground balancing, and depth. I don't know the answer but have been told that a DD coil will work better and go deeper in a higher mineralized soil reading than a concentric coil and vice versa. Of course this is also relative to coil size.

Ground Balance

I don't think you need to ground balance every 20 min........ Most times, I don't ground balance after the first time before the hunt. The only other time I ground balance is if the detector starts going ape#^% in a particular area. If your machine is giving false signals or acting erratically, then try ground balancing. I don't think it affects depth by a significant amount, but consider this; Is losing an inch or two of depth not worth stabilizing your machine in highly mineralized ground? You may be worying about GB waaaaay to much. If I were GBing every 20 min., it would take a lot of pleasure away from what I'm doing...... Relax and swing! Stop worrying!

ground balancing every 20 minutes is why minelab made ground balance tracking. I love it... It makes life so much easier because it automatically adjusts itself

GBing on my machine takes literally 2 seconds. I just push the pin pointer forward and shake the coil....It is no problem . I was just curious as to the low number. Thanks for your thoughts.

GB'ing to just a bit pos will let your detector see smaller targets,,,,, it's worth it to me to keep it as close to perfect all the time as I can,,,,,, I don't think it's too much every 20 mins,,,, JMHO

GB'ing to just a bit pos will let your detector see smaller targets,,,,, it's worth it to me to keep it as close to perfect all the time as I can,,,,,, I don't think it's too much every 20 mins,,,, JMHO
+1

It does matter what machine you're using. Different detectors handle minerization in different ways. Minelab (for instance) changes the phase angle, and the higher the GB # the better.

+1

It does matter what machine you're using. Different detectors handle minerization in different ways. Minelab (for instance) changes the phase angle, and the higher the GB # the better.

Care to explain what you mean by changing the phase angle? Phase angle of what waveform to what waveform?

It is REALLY very simple..

Ut-oh I'm a musician :yes: I'm already lost :lol:

The more neutural the soil, the more depth you get. All VLF and BBS machines are affected by their ability to ground balance in conductive soils. The differences should not be huge. If your Minelab shoots 14" in neutural soil, it should shoot 12"-13" in hot soil..

Now, as far as phasers, I always set mine to "stun." :laughing:

Care to explain what you mean by changing the phase angle? Phase angle of what waveform to what waveform?
I should have said "ground phase angle". Phase shift and phase angle are two different measurements.

Here is an explaination of what I'm talking about. Written by someone that understands it and explains it far better than I.
http://jb-ms.com/Baron/gb.htm

I should have said "ground phase angle". Phase shift and phase angle are two different measurements.

Here is an explaination of what I'm talking about. Written by someone that understands it and explains it far better than I.
http://jb-ms.com/Baron/gb.htm

I see, you were referring to George's --now classic-- paper.

I should note that, when the ground mineralization is mostly magnetic, you have the most depth available from your --ground balanced-- detector. But when the mineralization is mostly conductive, a VLF machine will lose depth sensitivity in the low conductive target range (e.g. small gold and nickels). This is because the ground balance phase angle is closer to the phase angle of low conductive targets.

Didn't read this thread but noticed your signature, and you should correct it. :yes: King George copper tends to imply British when what you have is an American Machin's Mills.

Didn't read this thread but noticed your signature, and you should correct it. :yes: King George copper tends to imply British when what you have is an American Machin's Mills.
I know less than nothing about old coins so I ask this as humbly as possible and will defer to your expertise... isn't it KG who is on the front of that counterfeit?...and isn't it a counterfeit of a British coin even though it was counterfeited in the new United States?

I know less than nothing about old coins so I ask this as humbly as possible and will defer to your expertise... isn't it KG who is on the front of that counterfeit?...and isn't it a counterfeit of a British coin even though it was counterfeited in the new United States?

Yes, that's pretty much it, only like I said a Machin's mills is called a Machin's Mills because it clarifies it's a NY copper. Saying George copper implies British and a British counterfeit would actually look very different than your coin, just like the genuine 1747 looks different, because they are different. Of course this isn't a big deal and I only mentioned it because you were cutting yourself a little short as usually a Machin's Mills is a much better find than the typical counterfeit British George copper. But there is definitely some British stuff that is killer so it's on a coin by coin basis.

Back
Top Bottom