• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

So, when asking permission to hunt a property

Birddog1911

How do you introduce yourself? Relic hunter, MD enthusiast, historian? I imagine that depending on what you say could have a real impact on whether someone lets you hunt their property or not?

In this particular interest, there's an old ranch near my place, and I'd like to see what I could find out there.

Yes, absolutely, what you say can have a big impact on the outcome of a permission request - equally important is your overall demeanor. I try to make sure I present myself in a friendly, confident, but non-threatening way, and I have one or two basic intros that I use depending on the situation. For example, if I know the name(s) of the property owner, I’ll say something like this: “Hi, my name’s XXX. I’m a history lover who metal detects as a hobby...I was hoping to find Mr or Mrs Xxx for permission to use a metal detector in the yard today...”. Keeps it short and sweet, and effective. I do have “business” cards that I give to the property owner, but I don’t lead with that...I only give it out after the initial introduction is done and I’ve had a chance to gage how the conversation is going.

Main thing, BE CORDIAL, Look them square in the eye and BE HONEST. Most people are as interested to see whats in their ground as you are. Thats been my experience anyway.

Do you find that people are more comfortable giving permission right then, for that day? Or do some people not want to commit immediately, and prefer to schedule a different day?

This is something I will struggle with at first. I'm pretty introverted and overall avoid talking to people. So at first I'm sticking to public places that I know are fair game, then I'll start dipping my toes into permissions. Hopefully through people I know at first until I get up the gall to just knock on doors :lol:

I agree with all that's been said. I belong to a historical society in our town and when seeking permission I give the greeting with my name, compliment the owner on having a lovely place and then.start a conversation around getting permission to hunt their property. It really helps if you can give them names and places you have hunted as a reference. That usually relieves the concern about your hunting practices. when you knock on the door, make sure you take a step or two back so you're not right in their face. Dress cleanly, and above all be friendly. I have only been turned down once.

Where I am, it's a big military town. I still serve, as well. It might be advantageous to make stops while in uniform.:D

So far, I have asked people at work or friends. I have several properties lined up for this summer. Looking forward to the finds as there are some very old properties on my list. :D

Don't show up in your metal detecting gear, can look intimidating, look somewhat presentable, if you can get the conversation going maybe have a couple of photos of some of your finds. Expect to get knocked back and don't take it personally.

You kind of have to learn to read people to know the best approach. Generally I introduce myself as a armature hobbies historian. Most property owners are proud of their property and a little respect can go a long ways toward a yes.

Instead of knocking on doors I cruise around the part of town I want to detect and try to catch them outside.

Back
Top Bottom