large cent example

You should make a time lapse video or something. How long does this take you?

You should also make a video on how to find so many large cents!

WOW, what a nice find. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing, probably the only way I will see one of those. lol

Another ugly copper at first

Attachments

• 1787 Machin obverse dirty.jpg
    1787 Machin obverse dirty.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Machin Mills obverse cleaned.jpg
    Machin Mills obverse cleaned.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,187
Any soaking?

Great work del,

Do you do any soaking of the coins before cleaning?

Yeah those coins look fantastic. You should post a video of the process. I've used toothpicks and coins that have loose dirt, sure I can remove that but the stuff that's caked on there, how do u remove that without scratching the coin? For example, here's a shielded nickel I've found...I've used a ton of toothpicks trying to clean it and i was able to make it out but this is the best I could do. Can I get this any cleaner? Tell us your secrets Del 😀

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 904
Here is an Indian that started out pretty crusty but turned out beautiful

Yeah those coins look fantastic. You should post a video of the process. I've used toothpicks and coins that have loose dirt, sure I can remove that but the stuff that's caked on there, how do u remove that without scratching the coin? For example, here's a shielded nickel I've found...I've used a ton of toothpicks trying to clean it and i was able to make it out but this is the best I could do. Can I get this any cleaner? Tell us your secrets Del 😀

Shield Nickles are made of copper and Nickle composite and while I have seen a few clean up decent they have a tendency to pit and look a bit "gritty" . yours looks like it has a hard almost crystallized like corrosion toothpicks are not strong enough to remove this as the tips are too soft and they break. I would suggest a harder material or tool.

here is a recent King George II farthing i recovered before and after cleaning . It had some significant wear to it but i'm happy to get most of the legends and the 1749 date .

Attachments

• oct. farthing.jpg
    oct. farthing.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 812
  • oct dirty farthing 2.jpg
    oct dirty farthing 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 847
  • oct farthing front.jpg
    oct farthing front.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 821
  • oct dirty farthing.jpg
    oct dirty farthing.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 805
Got most of the dark stain off the big silver

Attachments

• 56 dirty close up.jpg
    56 dirty close up.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 719
  • 56 close up front clean.jpg
    56 close up front clean.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 726
  • dirty seated 56.jpg
    dirty seated 56.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 743
  • 56 close up reverse clean.jpg
    56 close up reverse clean.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 806
Those did come out very nice but a cleaned coin is worthless to a collector, the only way they can have collector value is if it's a key to the series.

To a collector who is in it for the money, but a collector who just likes to have examples of nice coins, and doesn't want to pay for graded ones, they'd be more than happy with this.

Looks great!

An almost unrecognizable and worn King George I that had some very stubborn hard crud on it but cleaned up well .

Attachments

• feb dirty KGI .jpg
    feb dirty KGI .jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 665
  • Feb KGI cleaned.jpg
    Feb KGI cleaned.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 786
Where can I get such picks? Just cheap sets at Northern Tool or whatever?

I have a concrete-crusted large cent I'd like to dig into myself.

Back
Top Bottom