How To Clean War Nickels

Jamflicker

Elite Member
I get asked a lot about how I clean war nickels so I figured I would show how I clean them. Pictured is a war nickel that I found on Sunday that was incrusted in black stuff and then after it was cleaned. I soaked the war nickel in lemon juice for 24 hours. This can vary depending on how incrusted it is and the lemon juice will turn a greenish blue color. After 24 hours remove the war nickel and rub with a baking soda paste. If there is still black stuff on the nickel then put it in some fresh lemon juice and repeat the process.

Attachments

• war nickel.jpg
    war nickel.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,570
  • Nickel_Lemon.jpg
    Nickel_Lemon.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,308
Hey cool tip! Thank you for sharing.

I found a war nickel and tried rubbing with baking soda, and soaked in lemon juice but not 24 hours worth of soaking. I'll give it another try when I get the chance.

Lol I used drano on a super dirty IH the other day and to my suprise it came out great!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Found my first war nickel 2 weeks ago. It is ugly. I tried my dremel with a brass brush and it is still ugly. I wiil try lemon juice but I think mine is just too far gone.

Even quicker is wrap it in aluminum foil and then throw it in the lemon juice. Then rub with baking soda. Just best to do it outside.

I get asked a lot about how I clean war nickels so I figured I would show how I clean them. Pictured is a war nickel that I found on Sunday that was incrusted in black stuff and then after it was cleaned. I soaked the war nickel in lemon juice for 24 hours. This can vary depending on how incrusted it is and the lemon juice will turn a greenish blue color. After 24 hours remove the war nickel and rub with a baking soda paste. If there is still black stuff on the nickel then put it in some fresh lemon juice and repeat the process.

I will try that tonight I had found 2 war nickels and they both were encrusted in black thanks. I also have an E Trac. They are awesome on coins!:D

Great tip!
I love it when 4 year old threads are revived:lol:

Even if the original post is 4 years old, I am soooooo glad someone revived it!!:thumbsup:

I tried this last night on one of my war nickels that had a few black spots on it and it came out looking great!

Thanks to all for this post with some great cleaning advice!!

All nickels can be cleaned in the tumbler, they're tough and usually come out pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom