No saltwater detecting along FL east coast?

rbdigger

OK, I am new to the area and was getting all set to do some knee t waist deep water detecting at various locations along the Florida east coast beaches, but hold your horses!

I doing my research it seems you are not allowed to take a metal detector beyond the wet sand into even a few inches of water anywhere along the east coast of FL. Now I cannot find any official document that says this, but there sure is a lot about it all over the web.

Is this really true? If so, where is everybody on the east coast MDing?

Florida beach detectorists please help me out. What are the laws and where can I find them written?

Where can I go into the water to hunt?

I have been told to find the good stuff you need to be in the water. Would love to do it, but not if I will get arrested.

Thanks.

I've heard along the treasure coast area it's mostly illegal to water hunt because the leases extend to the shore, but not sure EXACTLY where...

Wait til there is a good low tide. It is my understanding that you just aren't allowed past the waterline... good thing the waterline moves!

This just seems way too restrictive. I understand leases being all the way to the shore in some areas, but the entire east coast? Wow, if that is true.

Still looking for a link to the laws so I can read them for myself.

I want to get in the water someplace in FL. I hope it is legal to do so some someplace.

Its just a section of the east coast. I want to say sebastians inlet to hobe sound or something like that. Keep googling. The answer is out there i just cant remember the specifics.

Its just a section of the east coast. I want to say sebastians inlet to hobe sound or something like that. Keep googling. The answer is out there i just cant remember the specifics.

This is true, I had a map once but cant find it. It`s a large swath of area around the middle of the state, look north and south Fla. or low tide. No dune hunting either.

Nevermind I got it. That treasure hunter guy. Well when those leases are lifted that is going to be some CRAZY detecting.

Thanks. As the find diminish they will give them up, that has to cost a bundle.
Then the little guys with to much time on their hands will have a field day.

I will say one thing, dont write off those beaches. There is good reason that those salvagers leased those spots, and the items they are looking for (spanish gold/silver/emeralds) could wash ashore during any of the big storms. There are supposedly hundreds of old shipwrecks off the florida coast.

The way the law is written you read it and seems you'd have to hunt wet sand at dead low tide.Most of us hunt it like low tide is where a Tsunami was approaching where the water recedes to.You won't see me quit water hunting any time soon. Respect the dunes.As a kid i remember all the tourists used to come out and pick all the sea oats.They'd go back home and wouldn't worry about all the dunes disappearing.

Cocoa Beach area

OK, I am new to the area and was getting all set to do some knee t waist deep water detecting at various locations along the Florida east coast beaches, but hold your horses!

I doing my research it seems you are not allowed to take a metal detector beyond the wet sand into even a few inches of water anywhere along the east coast of FL. Now I cannot find any official document that says this, but there sure is a lot about it all over the web.

Is this really true? If so, where is everybody on the east coast MDing?

Florida beach detectorists please help me out. What are the laws and where can I find them written?

Where can I go into the water to hunt?

I have been told to find the good stuff you need to be in the water. Would love to do it, but not if I will get arrested.

Thanks.

Hi Mr. Gilbert,

There is no city code that specifically governs metal detector usage in Cocoa Beach. Code Enforcement advises to stay off of private property unless permission is granted. It is also advised to reference city code sec. 5-54 regarding removal of earthen material from the beach, and sec. 18-7 regarding unclaimed or abandoned articles (both shown below). I hope this helps.

Sec. 5-54. Removal of sand and gravel.permanent link to this piece of content

It shall be unlawful for any person to remove and carry away any sand, shell, gravel and other earthen material from the ocean beach within the limits of the city between the ocean bluff and the low water mark of the spring tides. Anyone who collects seashells for recreation will be exempt from this section of the Code.

Sec. 18-7. Unclaimed or abandoned articles—To be held by police for ninety days.permanent link to this piece of content

It shall be the duty of any person upon finding or coming into the possession of any personal property, to return the same to the owner if possible, otherwise to deliver the same to the city police department. All unclaimed or abandoned articles coming into the possession of the chief of police or any policeman or other employee of the city, the disposition of which is not otherwise provided for by law, shall be held by the chief of police for a period of ninety (90) days.

Crystal J. Taylor

Assistant to the City Clerk

City of Cocoa Beach

P.O.Box 322430, Cocoa Beach, Fl. 32932-2430

Tel: (321) 868-3286; Fax:(321)783-5849

[email protected]

Interesting how many people posted advise that is just plain wrong. There are no restrictions on water hunting except the leases close to shore on the treasure coast and "some" state parks or federal land along the Cape Kennedy area. The official from Coco Beach said it all. Have fun with the waves kicking your arse. :lol::lol:

OP, you have to remember this is a forum and people will post advise that is wrong because that is what they thought is right. You will see people tell how to water hunt and they never did it before. I know of a couple who do this regularly. If you don't know for sure then you should read and shut up.

Had a friend who grew up in Cocoa Beach and routinely walked the beach at dawn. Told me he found HUNDREDS of funny shaped black discs which he would skim back across the waves. Later he found out they we're were all silver coins from a shipwreck.

Said he threw away his college education and a nice house....

Back
Top Bottom