• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old Base Housing

jbkelly3

Elite Member
We had a Air Force Base here starting in the WW2 days, and it was active until 1971. I recently got permission to hunt the enlisted housing area just off base ... all six square blocks!! The units are now low rent housing ... and about half unoccupied. Everything is still as the Air Force left it .... down to the close lines in the back yards. Here is the first silvers from the place. I have hunted only three building thus far, only going over the empty units areas. 57 units @ 4 apts each to go!!

Attachments

• Rosie up close.JPG
    Rosie up close.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 741
  • Base housing silver #1.JPG
    Base housing silver #1.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 21 Dec @ Base.JPG
    21 Dec @ Base.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 746
Dropped by the place again today for a few minutes to show my 16yr old step-son .... we may have to add a new detector soon .... about 10 minutes gave us another wheat (55d) and a very interested young man. The number of beer caps is amazing, as he learned today.

Definitely, hunt the cloths lines first. I live in a neighborhood built in the late 1950s and the greatest number of finds were from under and around the cloths lines in each yard.

Dropped by the place again today for a few minutes to show my 16yr old step-son .... we may have to add a new detector soon .... about 10 minutes gave us another wheat (55d) and a very interested young man. The number of beer caps is amazing, as he learned today.

I tried to get my 18 and 15 year old grandsons interested. No dice. If you don't find at least a dozen gold rings in the first five minutes they're bored.

I tried to get my 18 and 15 year old grandsons interested. No dice. If you don't find at least a dozen gold rings in the first five minutes they're bored.

Well it does help that he is quiet the history buff .... and intends on a military service future!!

Sounds like a great location and its going to take some time and effort to cover it all. It will be a fantastic site to share with your son. Congrats on the site, the Silver and the future potential partner. Jack

Columbus Ga. off base housing

Myself and three other friends (MDingers) worked a off base housing area this past summer.. 51 housing units (duplex)... Coin count was just below 4900 with a little over 200 silvers, all kind of military badges, and of course everything else.. But we had a great time together...

Myself and three other friends (MDingers) worked a off base housing area this past summer.. 51 housing units (duplex)... Coin count was just below 4900 with a little over 200 silvers, all kind of military badges, and of course everything else.. But we had a great time together...

Columbus is not too far away if you come up with another area!! Since these are about half occupied I have to be careful getting too many folks on the site at one time.

Update ... older silver!

Went back to the base housing area today .... started working around a new empty unit. The 74 (bottle cap) signals are constant, but today paid off nicely.

Also managed another wheat (44 plain) from the ground. Managed to double my finds today as I snagged a 41s wheat and 42 p Nickel at work in the registers!

Attachments

• 26 Dec 13 Mercury.jpg
    26 Dec 13 Mercury.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Merc after clean-up.jpg
    Merc after clean-up.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 293
Base housing ... update #3

Went back out a time or two and have pulled another 11 wheats, my first ever store token .... and a play coin that has to be thin metal as it was dug at 4 inches, and gave a clear nickel signal. The token is still soaking (the back is in horrid shape) but I will post a link to what it is supposed to look like when I get it clean enough for pictures. Here is the play coin!

Attachments

• Play coin front.jpg
    Play coin front.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Play coin back.jpg
    Play coin back.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 199
Update #4

Went back for another hour or so today ... 2 more wheats and an awesome coin from far away!! Anyone know why the pictures get turned sideways when I post?

Attachments

• Aussie front.JPG
    Aussie front.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 189
  • Aussie back.JPG
    Aussie back.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 182
Back
Top Bottom