• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Steel cylinder with jars and bottles

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I dug a low spot in the yard and found this. It's a steel cylinder with jars, rusted cans and bottles around it. I did not dig the middle of the cylinder out yet. So far I have found a ketchup bottle and baby bottle form the 40's. I know it's a junk pit but why? It's in the city, they should have had trash pick up back then. Do you think that If I did deeper I might find older junk?

What do you think the steel tube buried vertically is?

thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 698
Good God! I can't believe this. I couldn't help my self. I went out there and started digging again. The metal cylinder turned out to be some kind of man hole. It was stuffed with bricks, dirt and garbage. As I was digging the bottom started to fall out and the ground opened up and revealed some massive cavern. It looks like an underground room with stone block walls, a block support column, and massive fallen square timber. Its big enough to drive a ford 250 into. My neighbor says its a septic tank. I don't know, why is it so massive and with a stone support column? It's to dark I'll post pictures tomorrow. See ya then

Oh Man! Cant wait to see the pictures! Had to be an old tank or cistern, and then they just threw a bunch of junk in the hole as they were backfilling it...?

My neighbor says its a septic tank.

Does it smell like s*$#? Seriously, Be careful you never know what kind of gasses could be in there.If you have a canary send it in first. It sounds like a cistern, but there were a lot of people building fallout shelters.

Watched this vid and some others and one thing I have not seen was a air quality test . As a plumber we had to follow the OSHA rules for confined spaces . If someone passes out due to bad air , it takes experts to get the guy out . Often the person that goes down to help gets in trouble and does not make it . Kinda like when a swimmer is drowning ,the person jumps in to help and they both drown . Look up Confined Space procedure or deaths .
GL ,,,,,HH

Back
Top Bottom