New Spot Gives Up The Goods......Research, Research, Research!

lawdog1

Elite Member
While researching my local area, I found one of my counties most prominent farmers of the late 1800's homesteaded a quarter mile from my house.

The first hunt turned up a coin spill of 40's silvers. The second, gifted me with a 5 Wheat coin spill from 1916-1945 and an 1867 Shield Nickel on top of the ground. Turned up from the depths by the plow, no doubt.

This beats my previous oldest coin by 9 years. Not bad for Kansas!

Headed back this weekend......

IMG_0700-1.jpgIMG_0718-1.jpg

IMG_0719-1.jpgIMG_0730-1.jpg

Great finds lawdog, and good research. What currently exists at that present homestead location?

I thought you said 40 silvers. Was like. :wow: pound that! :lol:

Good job on the research and old coins!

G2M

Researching the property at least to find it on the computer isn't the hard part. You still have To go out and find it. Which way was the house sitting? Where was the front door? Where's the back door? Where's the drive way? Where was the barn? Did it have a barn? Did These folks have any money? All the research you can do will help but doesn't always produce the goods. Fine job on this hunt!

Great finds lawdog, and good research. What currently exists at that present homestead location?

The smaller house, built to live in while the larger house was constructed, is still there. The larger house is no longer standing, but it's obvious where it sat. Surrounded by outbuildings and fields (where I found the Shield Nickel). Did I mention, it sits directly on the Chisholm Trail?

Nice!! I bet this gets some wheels turning in other forum members heads. I'd keep that spot to myself and hit it often.

I have a buddy around here that can help me this winter. Otherwise, the property is lived on so they won't get too far before the shotgun blast rings out! :lol:

Awesome score. Love the fields. I would think Finding a shield nickel is very impressive for Kansas. Congrats on the oldies.

Congratulations on a nice hunt and super finds. I'm still waiting to find a shield nickel. You did good!

Back
Top Bottom