Need help on Union button ID

bacon_wrangler

Hey guys, my friend dug these Union Army buttons that I'm having trouble pinning down. They were found near a 5ft-6ft deep old well, with numerous horseshoes and nails scattered about, on a bluff overlooking the "Y" -shaped valley formed by the confluence of two creeks in northern Kentucky.

Signs point to it possibly being a picket station to watch for bushwhackers from WV or KY trying to cross over the Ohio River to raid Union territory. I have scoured the Internet looking for this "Eagle & Stars" backplate with BEST stamped on it, and can find nothing that resembles it.

I'm hoping one of you Civil War relic hunters have come across these type buttons before.

(I hope I can upload all these images)

Attachments

• eagle-enlisted.jpg
    eagle-enlisted.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 587
  • eagle-BEST.jpg
    eagle-BEST.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 588
  • eagle-back.jpg
    eagle-back.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 580
  • 4buttons.jpg
    4buttons.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 596
It is a general service button for enlisted men. USA
Style post 1854. Used throughout civil war.

Listed makers for this:
D. Evans & Co, Attleboro, MA;
W.G. Mintzer, Philadelphia;
Scoville & Co., Waterbury MA;
Steele & Johnson; Steele & Johnson Mfg;
Waterbury Button Co.

You may be able to research these individual makers and find a similar style of back.

Note: There is a die back listing for "Best and Co. NY" which may be a lead for you. Scoville Mfg. did contract work for them.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Best is a quality mark not a company name in this case.

The eagle indicates American made ..or British made trying to appeal to our patriotism by putting the eagle on there.

Somewhere around 1820 or so (give or take a few years), Civilian not military but could have been worn by a soldier wearing clothes from home.

I dug one yesterday at an old plantation home site here in northeast NC...two piece...fair condition...still has gold on the inside of the front...the back mark is WATERBURY BUTTON CO. with 3 stars...front is an eagle holding laurel leaves in both claws (no arrows) with best I can tell 21 stars around the outside edge...

I dug one yesterday at an old plantation home site here in northeast NC...two piece...fair condition...still has gold on the inside of the front...the back mark is WATERBURY BUTTON CO. with 3 stars...front is an eagle holding laurel leaves in both claws (no arrows) with best I can tell 21 stars around the outside edge...
Sounds like you have a WW1 or WW2 button, don't recall any CW eagle buttons with stars around it.

It is a general service button for enlisted men. USA
Style post 1854. Used throughout civil war.

Listed makers for this:
D. Evans & Co, Attleboro, MA;
W.G. Mintzer, Philadelphia;
Scoville & Co., Waterbury MA;
Steele & Johnson; Steele & Johnson Mfg;
Waterbury Button Co.

You may be able to research these individual makers and find a similar style of back.

Note: There is a die back listing for "Best and Co. NY" which may be a lead for you. Scoville Mfg. did contract work for them.
Good Luck :thumbsup:
Would you be kind enough to post a picture of the general service button for me?thanks !!

Thanks for the info MOBOB...I've been unable to locate any pics online that match the button I found...I will try and upload some pics of it later

Thanks for the info MOBOB...I've been unable to locate any pics online that match the button I found...I will try and upload some pics of it later

Sounds like a General Service Staff Officer's Button , Does it look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly how is looks, front and back...I posted a thread on it yesterday...tks for the info and ID!

Attachments

• IMG_7911.jpg
    IMG_7911.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 273
Yes, that is exactly how is looks, front and back...I posted a thread on it yesterday...tks for the info and ID!

If you look closely. On your left looking at the button ..which would be the right talon of the eagle. It's holding 3 arrows not laurels

Nevermind I see your other post. :)

Back
Top Bottom