More Park Goodies!

CZconnoisseur

Went at it again last night for about 4 hours and found three keepers! Not pictured is some clad, and a mountain of rusty nails, gum wrappers, and foil - par for the course :roll:

Dug the 1864 Indian cent first, this is what Mike and I have come to call "an engraved invitation" for a deep coin! Occasionally we will get our coils over a target that sounds like silver - or at least copper - and be so confident that it's going to be a coin. Most of the time we are right about these signals, as there are a few signals that don't sound like much but turn out to be a deep coin!
This Indian sounded perfect from the Deus (for an Indian cent) and Mike checked it with the CTX - and got a 12-34 to 12-37 reading, a solid indication!

Most of the coins we dig from the 8-9" level at this location were dropped anywhere from 1890-1920! A little while later Mike got over a Barber dime from the 8" level, and 10 feet from him I got "an engraved invitation" that sounded like a deep high conductor. This one would be a superb 1912 D Barber dime, in the hole with a large chunk of iron that didn't fool the Deus one bit! The iron was actually touching the coin, you can see where Liberty's headband is slightly stained from the rust....

We went on for a while, digging nothing but trash between us when I got an unremarkable hit close to some large iron. I've come to learn oftentimes these are coins trying to hide close to trash, or a very large piece of iron is trying to mask out a coin. Got down to 8" and in the center of the hole, I caught a glint of silver! Would end up being a Seated dime, dated 1889 - my third Seated ever! Mike shortly thereafter located a deep 1896 Indian cent - and by this time we were running out of steam.

Those last 10-15 minutes I was frantically searching for a Mercury dime - to try and complete my first "Dime Trifecta". Have come real close lately, but it will happen one day! :p

Attachments

• SAM_3009.jpg
    SAM_3009.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 431
  • SAM_3007.jpg
    SAM_3007.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 417
  • SAM_3008.jpg
    SAM_3008.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 417
Congrats to you !!!! That 1912-D barber dime is so nice ! Great condition, must have been lost new! Nice saves on your part. You had a good day, may you have many more (and send us some pics when you do).

Back
Top Bottom