Falsing pointer fix

Just one more

In case anyone is interested, my Pro-pointer was falsing so bad I was about to throw it in the trash. I tried some of the fixes on line like insulating the wires, putting a wad of paper behind the battery etc. Didn't help.

One crazy thing I saw online was to put the end of the pointer in boiling water for awhile. I did that and it seems to have fixed it. The VAST majority of falsing has stopped. It rarely falses now. I'm glad I did it.

before we all go boiling our PPs what is the process supposed to be doing? Is there a link? Very cool and unusual fix.

BCD

Not so concerned about the how it works, if it works, what I'm really curious about is what was someone thinking to make them decide to put their PP is a pot of boiling water to begin with :?::?::?: Also will just plain water work or should it be a beef or chicken broth?

Insulating the wires didn't help much on my GPP.
I actually thought of doing that or heating mine with my heat gun. This had been sent and returned from Garrett and still falses. The pin pointer falses when pressure is applied to the probe. I was thinking that heating it up may loosen the epoxy that holds the coil in the case thus relief any pressure on the coil and allowing pressure to be applied to the probe without adding pressure to the coil.

I only did this because my pointer was basically useless because of near constant falsing. Here is the way I did it. Not sure if it could be done better or different but this worked for me, so far at least.

The purpose is supposedly to reflow the hot glue or whatever they used to cement the wires and ferrite rod into the tip of the pointer.

I filled the pan with water to about an inch or so below the power button.

I held it upright, gently with vice-grips.

I put a wad of aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan to keep the pointer off direct heat.

I happened to have the board out so I wrapped it with foil. I was trying to locate the cause of the falsing by wiggling the wires etc. but the only thing that caused the falsing was pressure on the tip so that's when I decided to boil.

Brought it up to boil then reduced to fast simmer.

Let it go for 20 minutes.

Took out of pan and kept it standing up till it was cool. Not sure if that was needed.

Attachments

• Pointer.jpg
    Pointer.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 429
My fix for two, out of warranty 1st gen pro pointers was.....buy a carrot.
I'm done with Garrett. Sent 1st Gen back.. still wasn't fixed.. Sent PPII to Garrett 3 times.. still not working properly.. If I buy another... probably be a Profind 35.. just my 2¢

Not so concerned about the how it works, if it works, what I'm really curious about is what was someone thinking to make them decide to put their PP is a pot of boiling water to begin with :?::?::?: Also will just plain water work or should it be a beef or chicken broth?

I'm a DIY guy. I fix everything I own. If I can't fix it, I throw it away.

Thanks for posting

I only did this because my pointer was basically useless because of near constant falsing. Here is the way I did it. Not sure if it could be done better or different but this worked for me, so far at least.

The purpose is supposedly to reflow the hot glue or whatever they used to cement the wires and ferrite rod into the tip of the pointer.

I filled the pan with water to about an inch or so below the power button.

I held it upright, gently with vice-grips.

I put a wad of aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan to keep the pointer off direct heat.

I happened to have the board out so I wrapped it with foil. I was trying to locate the cause of the falsing by wiggling the wires etc. but the only thing that caused the falsing was pressure on the tip so that's when I decided to boil.

Brought it up to boil then reduced to fast simmer.

Let it go for 20 minutes.

Took out of pan and kept it standing up till it was cool. Not sure if that was needed.

I may have to give it a whirl and see what happens. I have one as well that got a case of the falsies as well. Already replaced it with the carrot and the old one is just sitting on a shelf, nothing to lose by trying. Just need to figure out a way to get the wife out of the house before I start bringing my gear into the kitchen an put it in her good pots. :grin:

I may have to give it a whirl and see what happens. I have one as well that got a case of the falsies as well. Already replaced it with the carrot and the old one is just sitting on a shelf, nothing to lose by trying. Just need to figure out a way to get the wife out of the house before I start bringing my gear into the kitchen an put it in her good pots. :grin:

That was my thinking. It was nearly useless and I was just getting ready to order a Garrett carrot and I figured I would try the boiling fix. It worked for me. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom