Confused about Threshold vs Volume?

Sorry for bumping an old post, but this seems like the best place for my question.

I just bought a Sand Shark (P.I.) and I want to get as much depth as possible so I run the Pulse Width (gain?) setting maxed. When I adjust the threshold knob, I can start to hear the threshold at about 30% but it is unstable and breaking up, kind of sputtering, it isn't until I turn it up to 60% or so that the threshold hum is a stable hum. I then adjust the volume so scanning a surface quarter is loud, but the threshold is now far louder than "barely audible"...

I can lower the volume to make the threshold barely audible, but a surface quarter will be much quieter. I imagine lowering the pulse width would allow me to get a stable threshold at a lower setting, but that would defeat my purpose of max depth..

Does it matter how loud the threshold is or is it just making sure to have it at the lowest stable setting?

Anyone want to help point me in the right direction? :lol:

Edit: With it set like above with the lowest stable threshold, max gain, I can't seem to get the threshold to null in my test garden... I get good depth on normal beeps, but it goes from positive change in threshold (beep) to no threshold response as I raise the coil... I thought there would be a null area in between getting a beep and no response...

This post by Rudy, as well the Sounds post, must be read by all..

Awesome information! :)

First, Set your Pulse Width at 3/4 - not Max. Now set your volume at half, and THEN set your threshold to where you can just hear it over the background noise. You will find that on some beaches, you will be able to use maximum power, and on some you won't. Important to relax, and learn from every target.

Also, MAKE SURE that you have set the tone to the proper frequency for YOUR ear! The ability to tune the freq to your personal hearing is a huge plus, so take advantage of it! :cool:

Sorry for bumping an old post, but this seems like the best place for my question.

I just bought a Sand Shark (P.I.) and I want to get as much depth as possible so I run the Pulse Width (gain?) setting maxed. When I adjust the threshold knob, I can start to hear the threshold at about 30% but it is unstable and breaking up, kind of sputtering, it isn't until I turn it up to 60% or so that the threshold hum is a stable hum. I then adjust the volume so scanning a surface quarter is loud, but the threshold is now far louder than "barely audible"...

I can lower the volume to make the threshold barely audible, but a surface quarter will be much quieter. I imagine lowering the pulse width would allow me to get a stable threshold at a lower setting, but that would defeat my purpose of max depth..

Does it matter how loud the threshold is or is it just making sure to have it at the lowest stable setting?

Anyone want to help point me in the right direction? :lol:

Edit: With it set like above with the lowest stable threshold, max gain, I can't seem to get the threshold to null in my test garden... I get good depth on normal beeps, but it goes from positive change in threshold (beep) to no threshold response as I raise the coil... I thought there would be a null area in between getting a beep and no response...

I have a vaquero and have not spent much time trying to learn the VCO mode much. This post explained a lot of what I was not understanding. Great post, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom