1922 Peace Silver Dollar

Splix76

Found in the middle of a farmers field walking back to my truck still swinging. I didn't expect to find this and almost skipped it as a plow blade or something else, as it was deep. I decided to dig one final item and call it, sure glad I did.

IMG_20191109_165920.jpg
IMG_20191109_165930.jpg

I had to look very closely, but the 22 in the date and some of the tiara details do have a distinct double die look to them. I didn't even notice this, thank you for pointing it out!

congratz on the silver dollar. What state did you find that in ?

Congratulations on the beautiful big silver. I still want to find one of those very much.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I targeted the site of an old building torn down in the 70's in the farmers field. I read that the area was slated for new houses to be built which has me wanting to pound the ground as much as I can before that happens.

I did a quick lookup of the land and despite being actively farmed, it is owned by the state. There are not any no trespassing signs posted so I printed out the map showing state ownership and threw it in my pocket in case there were any issues with the leasing farmer while there.

I dug a ton of trash
trash-digs.jpg

All of these pull tabs and tarp tie down rings rang up very high. It was a long day of disappointing digs that ended on a very high note. I found one dime and two pennies, but mostly trash. The old plow head and very heavy brass doornob were cool finds, but ended up in the recycle bin with the other trash as they were just not old or unique enough to hold on too. The metal slag/mass was lead and also sent to recycling.
high-tones.jpg

... it is owned by the state. There are not any no trespassing signs posted so I printed out the map showing state ownership and threw it in my pocket in case there were any issues with the leasing farmer while there.....

Well shame on you. Just because it's state owned, doesn't mean they want you md'ing there. Tsk Tsk. If you had asked long enough and hard enough, I'll bet someone could have told you "no". Tsk Tsk.

But I'll tell you what : Since you are now grief-stricken with guilt : Send that silver dollar to me. I will make sure it gets to the proper persons. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. Ok ? No .... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow hobbyist such as yourself. :cool3:

Congrats on that spectacular Peace Dollar . Much deserved after all that digging you did .
Glad you checked out that last signal .Welcome to the silver dollar club ! :dingding:

Well shame on you. Just because it's state owned, doesn't mean they want you md'ing there. Tsk Tsk. If you had asked long enough and hard enough, I'll bet someone could have told you "no". Tsk Tsk.

But I'll tell you what : Since you are now grief-stricken with guilt : Send that silver dollar to me. I will make sure it gets to the proper persons. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. Ok ? No .... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fine fellow hobbyist such as yourself. :cool3:

I appreciate your kind offer, however I think for me to truly learn my lesson I'll need to keep this coin close by where I can view it and really feel the guilt. :)

As a citizen of the state, my view is that my taxes grant me right to use state owned land. Had it been posted no trespassing I would have continued to seek permission from the state. With no fence barring entrance and no posted signs, I just went for it.

Back
Top Bottom