Backpacks - Use one? What kind?

JimboG

I'm tagging this on to Baconator's thread about bags but want to concentrate on backpacks. Every once in a while I wonder if it would be a good thing to use in order to carry extra coils or detectors in the field. I tend to have extra coils already mounted on lower rods so carrying them might be awkward. I'm just not sure which one would lend themselves to that sort of use. I noticed not only the Minelab and Garret packs but some others from Thule and Victoronix. Boy they can get pricey.

found this one at Walmart for 25 bucks. has plenty of compartments and a camelback bladder holder. a tore down AT Pro fits nicely in it.

Attachments

• 0002096856513_300X300.jpg
    0002096856513_300X300.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,836
I use a medium size North Face day pack. The detector does not fully fit in with the length of the pack. But it has two compartments that zip and will take a water bladder, for the thirst. I carry batteries, first aid kit, sun screen, bug spray, trowel, flash light, energy bar and a second size coil.

SHHH. I'm giving a Garret backpack to my wife (for her B-day).

I haven't opened it, but you can see it on their sight. It looks pretty all inclusive.

I use a kmart special for my packing needs. More pockets than I could ever use, and water resistant, with an insulated pocket for the water bottle. IDK, maybe $10.00 during a (pre) school year sale.

Do you carry coil/rods on the outside or is there enough space inside even if the rod has to extend out the top?

Me? I don't carry the detector in the bag at all. Walking through the woods is the only time I carry the backpack. It handles the equipment. I carry the detector separately. It's big enough that un-assembled, the detector would fit, but I don't break mine down at all.

I was thinking in terms of having a backpack to carry additional rod/coil(s), water etc. while detecting so I don't have to run back to my car and waste time. Also to occaisonally carry a second detector along.

I was thinking in terms of having a backpack to carry additional rod/coil(s), water etc. while detecting so I don't have to run back to my car and waste time. Also to occaisonally carry a second detector along.

That would work. My pack says (Starter) on the side. It's not high end by any means. But it works. GL & HH

I got a great backpack for $40 at the local army navy surplus store. It's the only bag that I could find that comfortably fits a broken down Etrac. The back is padded so there is no discomfort and the straps are heavy duty and padded. It has plenty of compartments for my digging tool, ProPointer, extra battery pack and lunch.

I had the Garrett Detectorist backpack and it was worthless, the straps were tearing and it was very very cheaply built. I need a backpack because I don't have a car where I live and use the subway and bus routes and would rather have my detector stowed away when the subway or bus gets super crowded.
I can take pictures if you want when I get home from work.

Maxpedition gear has some outstanding backpacks plus other other bags for carrying other stuff as well. Also thier tough as nails in the outdoors. A little high priced but well worth it for the long run.

found this one at Walmart for 25 bucks. has plenty of compartments and a camelback bladder holder. a tore down AT Pro fits nicely in it.

What brand and make is this? Possibly link? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I just prefer something that has a large centre pouch for holding losts of items and good straps that distribute the weight evenly to avoid potential problems.

I found a bunch of awesome backpack options/choices with in-depth analysis on this site, which really helped make my hunts easier and I wasn't worried that the back would be different from how it was explained. As previously I bought a "Utility Bag" which on site looked quite large but upon arrival was much smaller than I thought and broke almost immediately. Now I exclusively use the site mentioned above before purchase.

Back
Top Bottom