I keep finding these...

fosgate3

I found these little things around a couple of old houses where I live. At one house, they seem to be everywhere. At the other house, they weren't as prevalent but present nonetheless. They "ring" high on my Garrett Ace 400 similar to how a penny would (if anyone reading this is familiar with the Ace 400, they read around 81-82, with an occasional dip to 79). I think they may have been used in the construction of the houses but I don't know what they would be for. I have found more of the ones with square backing than the other ones. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

(sorry for the blurry picture on the right)

Attachments

• things.jpg
    things.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 469
Storm anchors most commonly used with asbestos shingles, as seen below which explains why they are almost always bent when we find them:

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 412
Thanks for the info. Found a lot of the stop sign shaped ones at one site. Very aggravating to be hoping for an old Indian coin and it was just that.

Ah.. okay! Thank you for the help! I learned something new today :)

I also found a 64 Roosevelt dime, another 56D penny, and a small piece of lead today in the same yard. In all, the house has given me one Arkay WW1 era whistle, about two dozen wheat pennies, four Roosevelt silver dimes, two silver Washington quarters, four or five Mercury dimes, two pet rabies vaccination tags, and about $5 in "newer" money (post-1964). Going back tomorrow afternoon to try some more.

Storm anchors most commonly used with asbestos shingles, as seen below which explains why they are almost always bent when we find them:

These have to be the most frequently misidentified find, being called roofing nails. It is refreshing to have the correct identity and I have not seen this photo before, stealing it thank you!

Back
Top Bottom