2017 MTHA Open Hunt (Massachusetts)

Update on Prize Value

Just got word from our Huntmaster that our total value of hunt prizes is over $4,000 now. Here's a message she just emailed out to club members, past participants and several TH'ing contacts.

Jimther
www.masstreasure.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a reminder if you’re not yet registered...

Our annual “John Govoni Memorial Open Hunt” will be held again this fall on October 7th at Houghton’s Pond Milton. An easy exit off Route 128.

All metal detectorists and their families are invited to come have a great day with hunters from the area. We will be adjacent to the beach plaza, lots of parking in the main lot. Food vendors and restrooms are in the area.

We have a morning and afternoon hunt, so you can hunt one or both . A [free] pizza snack will arrive about noon, and we have water and soda keeping cold.

We will be planting coins and tokens worth prizes and CASH on the beach. Anyone of any experience can win. The only equipment you need is a metal detector, a trowel and a pouch or apron. We must wear headphones, as there are other hunters around you. If you cannot kneel or bend because of age or disability we do allow a long handled scoop this year. We know that might slow you down, but so many miss out on the fun we are “adjusting the rule” for those who would not be able to hunt. All items and coins we plant are close to the surface and in sand.

Registrations received or postmarked by September 29th is $30 per hunt, and $35 per hunt after that or for "Walk-ins" that day. Early registration for the 2 hunts enters you into a drawing for the early registration prize.

This helps us to return as much value as possible to the prize field and coinage and $$ prizes to the beach.

This year, in addition to our Silver raffles we are having additional raffles including one for a “NEL” coil fitting the Garrett AT-PRO AND a Double Barrel professional coin tumbler.

During the morning hunt we have a special unplanted “Best piece of junk” fun competition, as we will be finding all the year’s beach trash as we hunt. One lucky winner for this special category. Last year a ring popped out of the ground.

Morning hunt prize tokens might win a Garrett AT PRO Detector; a White’s Venture Detector, or an XP Pinpointer*. ……… Just added a Minelab pinpointer

Afternoon hunt prize tokens might win a Minelab Go-PRO-20 Detector** , Garrett “Carrot” Pinpointer or a White’s Treasure Master Detector.

* Donated by Dan and Mike at metaldetector.com -Southboro MA

**Donated by Dennis from metaldetectors.com -Rockland MA

More to be added, along with, T-shirts, all the tools you might need, pouches, gloves, totes and supplies for a day out hunting. We have donations from area shops and MD companies.

Check our website for the schedule, updates and pictures as we add more. Prize value is over $4000 so far, with a week to go.

Lots of freebies; last year’s prize value per hunter was well over $80pp. Come and get your share, and register early to help us calculate the coins and silver to go into the sand.

You can print a registration form on line at our site, or if you need info call the huntmaster at 781-424-7472, even the day of the hunt.

See you there!

Huntmaster at Mass Treasure Hunting Association
Newton Highlands MA
www.masstreasure.com

Just go mine in the mail today. i needed to make sure I was gonna be free before I sent it in. See you guys next week.

Did I miss anyone ?

Two more days till Early Registration ends and get your check in the mail with a postmark of September 29th or before.

As of today, September 27th, I believe the following Forum members are coming to the MTHA Hunt. I'll try to have a sign with our FMDF usernames up at the hunt so you we can gather and perhaps get a group photo to post here (with your permission).

Member................................State
- dlax ................................. MA
- cellrdwellr ..........................MA
- Ron 71 & daughter ..............MA
- ffgrizzley & wife ..................MA
- Mr. C .................................CT
- detectordiver ...................... ?

FMDF members who expressed interest but I'm not sure have confirmed:

- bottlecapking ......................MA
- LIBear ................................NY

If I missed you in above list, send me a PM or mention it here. Thanks.

jimther
MTHA Librarian
www.masstreasure.com

Last edited:
Definitely was interested but can't get time off from work. Maybe next year, good luck to everyone

Sorry you can't make it

Definitely was interested but can't get time off from work. Maybe next year, good luck to everyone

Hi LIbear,

Too bad you can't make it. Unfortunately, I just learned tonight that I won't be going either, due to a death in my wife's family.

I PM'd the six Forum members who I know are coming to let them know I won't be there and that they should try to meet up at the hunt and maybe get a group photo.

Next Year !

Jim

Sorry to hear about the passing Jim. We'll get together and get a pic posted up. We'll be two old people riding in an 01 blue Cherokee with a roof basket and probably wearing some type of metal detecting t-shirts. Going to go early to avoid the traffic so we should be parked somewhere up front. Hope to see everyone there! :clapping:

Jim - thank you for all of your support in organizing this hunt and I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I am going to be late tomorrow, kids have hockey and ballet in the AM. I'll probably miss the first hunt, but will definitely be there for the second. Don't forget fresh batteries!

I just want to say thanks again to the MTHA for 2017, the hunt was a blast. Hope everything is okay on your end Jim. Hope to catch up with you next year. I ended up doing pretty well, really wanted that at pro again :lol: 9 silver rosies, 6 buffs, and a bunch of clad. Also a bunch of accessories. My favorite being the minelab flag that was given to me after the hunt. Already looking forward to 2018! Happy hunting out there folks!

Attachments

• 1007171642.jpg
    1007171642.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1007171642c.jpg
    1007171642c.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 206
MTHA haul or Why did I buy my wife an ATP?

Great time for a first seeded hunt for two beginners. Morning hunt was a lot of fun and the afternoon hunt was a bust. Info offered was taken on ATP set-up and both of us had nothing but problems. We both learned that beach sand and seeded hunt equals keep the sensitivity down to nothing. ATP's just lit up and overloaded at anything more than half way. Oh well, lesson learned.

So for the haul, of COURSE she beat me bad and I was nice enough to set her up with the area to hunt through. :D First pic shows the takes from the two hunts. Betty's on top and mine below. First hunt to the left and second to the right. Bunches of clad. Her Standing Liberty quarter. Ya, hers, bummer. Her Buff too. We both also won $10 each, hers was a drilled penny and mine was a baggie and she won a pouch at the end in the free raffle. Loved the experience and meeting others from the board. Thanks MTHA we'll be back next year.

Attachments

• take.jpg
    take.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 133
  • SLQ 1929.jpg
    SLQ 1929.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 128
  • BN 192628.jpg
    BN 192628.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 131
Thanks guys for another great hunt. Ended up getting 3 buffs, 3 silver dimes a bunch of clad and the AT pro.

I dont have any pics at the moment, but wanted to give a thanks the organizers. I did very well myself. On the first hnt I got 6 buffalo nickels and about $2 in clad and 3 prize tokens, which turned into a heavy duty garret Edge digger and sheath, and small whites trowel and a T shirt.

On the second hunt fate was on my side. I had a whole 20 x 20 foot corner to myself and in that area I found 6 prize tokens another 4 buffalo nickels, a Washington, a rosie and about $1.50 in clad. Those prize tokens turned into 3 nice sponsor baseball hats, a grab bag of goodies, another nice shirt, and one of the better prizes (something that i have been wanting for cellar holes)...a large T handled digging shovel.

Great prizes and a great day.

Glad you had a blast... and no rain

Hi guys,

I see the post-hunt reports are rolling in and you had a good time. :detector:

Did Forum members win any of the several raffles ?

Hope you had a chance to meet each other. Were there any Forum member group pics you can post here ?

Till 2018...

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you Jim and all the fine folks at MTHA for another great outing!
I ended up finding four prize tokens and got some nice stuff.
1. A White's backpack big enuff to hold a broken down detector and spare coils,
Very well made.
2. A pair of Minelab gloves, again very well made.
3. A nice Garrett ball cap.
4. A white's grab bag with some hunting gear, poncho, water bottle, stuff like that.
I also found a bit over six bucks in clad, two silver GW quarters, one silver rosie, and four buffalo nickels
We met some nice folks, some forum members and others weren't, I hope next year we can figure a way to identify forum members and maybe get a nice group pic to post here.
Thanks again Jim, I look forward to meeting you and other members at next years meet.
P.S Congrats detectordiver on the AT Pro, what a great prize!

Congrats on all the great prizes and the AT PRO!

I was late for the first hunt due to kids activities and didn't come up with anything. The second hunt I got about 4 bucks in clad, 1 silver dime, 3 buff nickles, and 1 prize token for a swag bag. I also won a hat when they raffled off the extra prizes. No big wins for me though, but it was a fun day. Thanks for the pizza!!!

I didn't meet any forum members that I know of. Next year!

Info offered was taken on ATP set-up and both of us had nothing but problems. We both learned that beach sand and seeded hunt equals keep the sensitivity down to nothing. ATP's just lit up and overloaded at anything more than half way. Oh well, lesson learned.

My at pro was fine, I switched to Frequency 4. Did you try adjusting the frequency?

My girlfriend and I attended the 2017 MHTA hunt at Houghton's Pond. It was our third time at this hunt and there were many good things about the hunt but at the risk of nitpicking I have one complaint/suggestion.......the Buffalo nickels are a nice idea but maybe next time they could have dates on them? The pizza, soda, and chips were appreciated and the prize tokens were numerous. Together we won two carry bags, two pouches, a hat, a set of headphones, a pack of AA batteries, a grab bag of assorted items, $6 in clad, 5 silver coins and 4 buffalo nickels. All in all, a good time.

Back
Top Bottom