Metal Detecting Drone

robby4570

Elite Member
Well, actually, using a drone FOR researching sites...

So, does anyone out there have a drone, quadcopter, whatever you want to call it? Do you fly it over any of your prospective sites to see if you can find better areas of the site to start in? Or just randomly fly over your town looking for old structures that aren't visible from the street? I'm thinking I want to get into aerial photography/videography, do some metal detecting vids using the drone AND do some research at a few skirmish sites...

Gonna start of cheap to learn to fly but hope to eventually have a DJI with 4K vid and high Megapixel still capability.

DRONE Q303A.jpg

Never used a drone, but I can see where it would be beneficial for scouting and research.

I have a fairly large drone that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. Never thought about flying it over potential sites to check them out. Not like I could do it anyway though since I crash the damn thing every time I try to fly it. :lol:

Yeah, I have a Phantom... can be used to scope out the beach to see where the cuts are before you get all your gear over the dune to hunt. Just need to do a little flying first to see the best areas to begin your hunt.

D.T.

Multiple drones

I have a phantom 1 FC-40 and a Traxxis Alias. I just ordered the new DJI Mavic Pro, can't wait for it to arrive! 6-8 weeks, ugh! The alias is a fun trick drone but the phantom is way better. The Mavic will blow both out of the water!

I can see a HUGE benefit for us! Problem: I smoke jump the big beaches up here, so a fellow has to drive to the parking spot, suit up, walk on down to check conditions and look for blowouts...its an extreme amount of time and effort expended to get a visual on a place! Miles of wasted time and effort just to find that one perfect blowout!

Yesterday I geared up and long marched into what should have been blown out good only to find 30' of sand washed in! Didnt even turn on my rig, just turned around and hiked back out! There went a half an hour! If a fellow had a drone to do the scouting work, then Hell yeah!

Back when I was a trapper, if a guy had a drone, same kind of deal...sweep over a location, evaluate the ROI possibilities etc...that would have sure saved a fellow many wasted scouting trips and hauling in needless gear!

These tools sure do have a place in our arsenal....especially as we age, time is getting shorter and the walks are getting longer..
Mud

Here's the video that lit the fire under me to quit wishing I had a drone and made me decide to get one.

From DrTones24k, this video is great:

In case the embed doesn't work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_ffwNvwk8&t=4s

For some reason it won't play in preview. Maybe he has embedding turned off. Kinda dumb, I'm promoting his video for him, but I guess it gets traffic directed to his channel... :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a Phantom 3 Standard and WOW is this thing much easier to fly than my other drone. Took it out for its first test flight today and everything went smoothly.. Video looks great. I may have to see how this can benefit me as far as scouting areas to detect. I've already flown it over a wooded area next to my workplace and found bare spot that might be worth detecting. Pretty dang neat!

I was thinking about buying a drone, but I found Google Earth and Google Maps really great to use. Let us know how it works out for you.

Debating getting a dji inspire 1..

Anyone try it yet or use one ?
Will be a used gently unit. Extra controller extra batteries even the iPad air.
Probably will be 1k..
Other than car repair never have I ever spent that much on myself for one item.
But for the longest time I didn't see the attraction to drones. The inspire transforms and gimble moves 360 degrees no rotors or landing gear in shots..
So tempting!! How does one justify spending that much on them selves though!?

After selling off a detector and purchasing the CTX I have about 500$ to spend and I am considering getting a drone. The DJI phantom 3 standard seems like a good deal. Any experienced drone user care to comment

A drone with the live video feed could indeed be helpful in searching out spots to hunt,
it would be neat if they have a GPS recorder to have a record of the location of those spots !

Also, maybe they could make something like this :laughing::laughing::laughing:
detecting_drone.jpg

Debating getting a dji inspire 1..

Anyone try it yet or use one ?
Will be a used gently unit. Extra controller extra batteries even the iPad air.
Probably will be 1k..
Other than car repair never have I ever spent that much on myself for one item.
But for the longest time I didn't see the attraction to drones. The inspire transforms and gimble moves 360 degrees no rotors or landing gear in shots..
So tempting!! How does one justify spending that much on them selves though!?

If you have no one else that will spend it on you , then it's all about you. Enjoy yourself, life is short.
I've thought about getting one to check out roofs so I don't have to break out a ladder all the time. Getting to old to be climbing on roofs now days. What kind of wind can you fly these things in ?

I have a quadcopter with HD wifi camera that shows up through my cell phone or tablet...it is very helpful for us....however, a very steep learning curve on flying it. I was thankful that I found many spare parts for sale lol.

I recently bought a Phantom 4 Pro Plus to record our salvage efforts this summer. Also to get good aerials of the water when it is clear and calm, to see if any shipwreck material was exposed over the summer. It is phenomenal. Many bells and whistles. When I first started flying it over the water, I would feel sick to my stomach and my hands would shake. Finally got past that. Will be posting videos soon.

I have a phantom 1 FC-40 and a Traxxis Alias. I just ordered the new DJI Mavic Pro, can't wait for it to arrive! 6-8 weeks, ugh! The alias is a fun trick drone but the phantom is way better. The Mavic will blow both out of the water!

I have the Alias also. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. Actually, I have three of them, and about 10 batteries. So much fun. For anybody who wants to fly a phantom, you should learn how to fly the Alias first. High performance, yet forgiving. If you can fly the Alias, the Phantom will be a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom