Coinstar Jackpot - 30+ Silvers

I never thought of Pay phones.. I wonder how many Silver dimes or quarters were found from them. I am in doubt they would of been rejected because of the "times" pay phones were in use and silver was still common..but I know I have found change in a payphone many times as a kid.
Me being employed by Bell, it was years ago that we had a gal who’s job was that of collecting the coin from the payphones. I’ve been into coins for over 40 years now, and it never once occurred to me to ask her to keep an eye out for silver!

Wow, maybe Coinstar doesn't think they'd get used enough there ?

Years ago there were plenty of pay phone coin return slots to check, but there still should be vending machines to check, :

years ago as a paper-boy, delivering my papers, I would pass a phone booth everyday & I'd check the return slot. I found a buffalo nickel one day.
( about :?: 1978)

Funny thing about coins....Back in the early 80's when me and my Wife were fresh married, we of course fell on hard times, and a guy not brave enough to rob a bank and with no honest work available, a guy got to creative financial thinking.....We lived in a very old house in the center of town... the laundry room was in the basement..the washer spit out its waste into cast iron and then clay tiles that ran out into the sewer...

Well, I dont know what made me think of this, since we dint have no youtube back then...but one day I taped a spoon to the end of a long supple willow switch, bent the spoon like a little hoe, and snaked it down into the waste pipe access portal in the basement...I pulled out enough coins to buy us a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk..!

Looking back and thinking, A guy has got to wonder just how many riches await inside the waste pipes and Coinstar reject trays of Humanity? Heck, even nowadays, theres probably more money underneath a car seat than in a guys bank account!:laughing:

In our 40yrs together, Heres The greatest compliment my Wife has ever paid me:..."Well, no matter what happens or what situation comes along, at least I dont have to worry about starving to death!":laughing:

Wow...that is crazy!! I never heard of anyone finding so many. I think I will put my detector in storage and instead map out a route of all the Coinstars.

Major congrats on hitting the Coinstar silver jackpot!

you know that is THEFT
it was not your money nor was it your machine
those machines are there to make a profit
not have some person pilfer from the reject box
the correct thing would be to turn the coins over to the
manager... wreap what you sew as the bible says
BAD KARMA:D

you know that is THEFT
I will consider your reply, ”Vegasplayer,” your Holiness!

The coin in the reject tray was not counted by the Coinstar machine.
If Coinstar takes that coin, it’s 100% profit for them, but their books won’t balance. I suppose one could also call that theft. I looked at it as “found” money, the same as finding money or valuable items in the ground, or a $100 bill in the parking lot. Right in this hand, wrong in the other?

Last edited:
you know that is THEFT

No offense intended, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but remember that the Coinstar machine does not give the customer credit for coins that go into the reject tray so Coinstar is not losing money from reject tray coins, also if the person who left the coins in the reject tray did not know to check the reject tray it is extremely unlikely they will return later to ask the manager if coins were turned in, it is more likely the manager realizes this and will just pocket the coins for himself.

Also consider anything we find anywhere was not ours before we found it, whether it be coins on the sidewalk in front of a store or coins or jewelry in or on the ground.
(the obvious exception is it was ours if it was something we ourselves dropped like keys)

Now having said all that I am very proud to read that so many detectorists will try to return something where the owner can be identified from an inscription like on a class ring for example.

you know that is THEFT

:facepalm: OHHH HOLY ROLLERS ! it was a great post :worms:

I will consider your reply, ”Vegasplayer,” your Holiness!

The coin in the reject tray was not counted by the Coinstar machine.
If Coinstar takes that coin, it’s 100% profit for them, but their books won’t balance. I suppose one could also call that theft. I looked at it as “found” money, the same as finding money or valuable items in the ground, or a $100 bill in the parking lot. Right in this hand, wrong in the other?

Not to mention that you're ALSO doing them a service, and in fact saving them money since they won't have to pay someone to figure out why the books don't balance.

:wow2: Congrats on a coinstar find-of-a-lifetime! :woot: That is very cool. :good:

My biggest CS haul included my first and only CS silver, a '68-D 40%er and some Clad. :yes: That was last year, hopefully we'll find some more silver. :yes:

Me being employed by Bell, it was years ago that we had a gal who’s job was that of collecting the coin from the payphones. I’ve been into coins for over 40 years now, and it never once occurred to me to ask her to keep an eye out for silver!

To the best of my knowledge back in the heyday of pay phones the coin boxes were enclosed and sealed in a way you could not see the contents. The person assigned to pick them up pulled the whole box and never saw nor could see the coins inside. They replaced the box and logged the number of the box pulled and the one they replaced it with. Those boxes were later trucked somewhere to be emptied of the contents. They were very serious about their money and you better not lose a key that opened the door to pull the box and had better make sure the boxes you turned in matched what was on record.

Back
Top Bottom