• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Folded military hatchet?

thebmasur

Just found this hatchet which at first appeared to be hand forged as one piece folded over and welded to make the eye. After cleaning it up and looking it over it has the marking "U.S" in small letters recessed into the metal on the opposite side of the fold. It appears to be a small military hatchet but I've never seen a folded one. Seems like a clean cut, but could it be broken? Does anyone know of a folded construction military hatchet, or can I.D. This one to a specific era? Thanks guys!!
f170d6d06bef003b2532a1976391d8e5.jpg
541f6644e78698686831d708b6c4d621.jpg
a0c61de6cf366fd777f0384f1c0bdbbd.jpg
0e3d4b6534637fb9d81884d03da467b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not folded over,just looks it.They did crack and people have welded them but look towards being a modified Hewing axe or possibly a timber framing axe .....

Last edited:
Probably not folded over,just looks it.They did crack and people have welded them but look towards being a modified Hewing axe or possibly a timber framing axe .....

After more inspection I think it is broken not folded. Did the military produce hewing or timber framing axes?

I have no idea. I just went by the thinner blade design is usually for hewing or timber framing, not for heavier general purpose axe head from design.

If you take a look at the M1910 hand axe, it seems pretty similar.

I have a one I dug that looks just like it. What it is is an old firewood chopping and felling axe that's come apart along its forge weld.

Back
Top Bottom