Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS

Hi all,
I'm new to Metal Detecting and I am glade there is the "CODE OF ETHICS" posted, altho I would have done most of it anyways, just because I believe in respecting others and their property.

I have always wanted to get a MD and I need to get out a walk, so this will work out great.

I agree with the MD Code of Ethics.
Except.
The part about getting permission.
So far, from reading the experiences of others and with my own (limited) experience, I am convinced that each location needs to be evaluated using common sense and morals, and then dug or not, permission be danged.
Here is a few of my guidelines:
Government land: Parks, national forests, road easements and similar = Mine. I paid for each one of these out of my pocket with my labor, and assuming I'm following the rest of the Code regarding hole size, neatness, courtesy, picking up litter etc., I am not doing anything immoral or unethical.
Also govt: Historical sites, sensitive areas of whatever nature--I leave it be. It's just common sense.
As for private land, here are a couple of examples. A large ranch owned by the same family for several generations recently sold most of it's land to a developer. As the development (into an industrial park) continues, an old homestead site (possibly a line shack for cowpokes) is within a few weeks of being bulldozed.
I contacted the developer, who said no for safety reasons. Now, I know there are release forms out there and I could have tried again. But I tell you what. He didn't say no for safety or any other reasons other than because it was the easiest way to cover his *ss in these times of ridiculous lawsuits. If I had persevered, I would have drawn attention to myself and "safety" measures may have been put into place.
Have I been out there? Yes, and hope to go again before the tear-down.
Another situation: Older house on acreage, recently bought by corporation. Outbuildings already removed, brick house to go next. Have I been there? Yes. And since then the house has been razed, and if they scrape the lot I might just go back. The lot is just going to be built on again, and you cannot convince me they have any interest in any rusty bits 'n pieces I remove.
Places where people live or businesses operate, not without asking.
Two "historical" type situations on private land: the remains of a stage stop, on private land, in a fenced field, with an additional fence around the site. No go. Another stage stop site about to be wiped out to widen a road. The site is already trashed. I go, and, no, I don't ask.
An empty lot in a neighborhood where a house used to be? It depends. I go case by case. I'm not doing any damage, I'm taking away litter, I'm not taking anything of value (usually :() and if I do find an old coin or something, would they have found it if I hadn't been there? Were they even looking?
I judge each situation, and if it passes my moral and ethical tests I go for it. Note I left off legal. I know private land is not mine and therefore anything I take from it could be construed as stealing, and even being on it as trespassing. Then again, at least out here, mineral rights do not necessarily belong to the landowner, nor water rights or timber rights or even grazing rights. As far as "treasure" rights, which is sooo in the eye of the beholder...?
As far as permission, I'll leave when asked and apologize when necessary and let my morals, ethics and experience be my guide.
And I am registered as, and do vote, Libertarian.

The Code of Ethics is common sense and general guidelines. Of course this all depends mostly on where you live, and what the locals will put up with.

As for Connecticut, with the increasing use of cellphones, it seems the cops are showing up more wherever we go. Recently, we were accused of shellfishing. (Someone "called" it in) :roll:

Regardless, I am not looking forward to our first, "I was arrested, and my equipment and truck was confiscated" threads, or the, "This city has banned metal detecting" threads.

PLUS, we have some ethics that we follow that are not posted such as:

1. We don't detect cemeteries
2. If we are invited to go somewhere, we don't start detecting till the person that invited us gets there, and we leave when they leave.
3. We don't sneak behind our friends backs and clean out their spots.
4. If you are asked to leave a place, you apologize and leave.

Carol K--thank you for your reply. Last night I wrote in the heat of the moment, and worried all day that I would be "banished" or something for my views. I was actually afraid to look today!
I really do judge my sites carefully, and if I worry about being "caught", well, maybe that's intuition weighing in and I need to leave it be.
I also wonder whether the relative derth of sites and the lack of age of the sites compared to the east coast are making me more brazen than perhaps I should be.
Lots to think about, lots to consider.

i rekon a cool ethnic could be to always offer somethig back to the spot you detecte,make a hole and put something init ;) well cool

I thought Libertarians were in favor of property rights? :)

I agree with almost everything you said. I'm just messin with you. :) I've got a place near my house that's just been cleared and they are about to pave it over and make a shopping center on top of all that freshly bulldozed dirt. It'll never be available to find anything out from under that concrete pad again.....

decisions, decisions...

although, it was all just woods, no old houses or anything...

uuuuuhhhhh, what to do, what to do. :)

Thanks for the Code. I wish more people would follow those rules, especially about not distroying property.

I live in Plainfield Indiana and frequent several parks and soccer fields in my area. One such park, right behind a high school, has been hit hard by detectionists. You can see the signs everywhere. Holes. BIG holes covered but leaving the grass an unsightly mess! Would love to meet the person or persons doing this.

Regards
Robert R

Mister Ed.....Most of your post was interesting reading. But I disagree with the part about metal detectors being available for $19.95 from Harbor Frieght as being a bad thing.
Although I have never seen a metal detector that sold that cheap, I bought my first metal detector frm Wal-Mart. If it wasn't for the low price of that metal detector ($99.95) I would have never gotten into the hobby.
Soon after, I up-graded, and have been enjoying the hobby ever since. My point is this....there is something to be said for cheapo detectors.

swick

I raise my right hand...to follow these rules so other may enjoy metal detecting in the future.

Thanks for the code

Yeah thank you for posting the code. Most of those things I would do anyway, but not as many people now seem to realize that what they do can influence how others see us (guilt by association stinks). I've been sending out emails to local and state law enforcement, and state county parks to see if they have any problems. Any other suggestions of who to ask about regulations? The Michigan DNR site was the only thing I could actually find that clearly mentioned anything about detecting rules.

Gotta say I agree with a lot of what B-Positive said in his original post...also, asking permission at a school , in my experence, will usually get you a "no"..a little common sense goes a long way in MD'ing, just like with other things in life..Roadrunner

C of E

Do not Kill the hobby these are,
Good Rules to Follow When Detecting

- Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.

I did not make up these rules, just trying to save the hobby for newbie's to come.

ezdigger Stan

Stan,
May I republish this code of ethics?

Cheers!
Peter

Newbie here from Chicago. I Agree with the ethics code with my right hand on my Metal Detector handbook. Started out coin collectiing for my last 20 years. Looking for a good Metal Detector. Any ideas for a newbie? Mostly for beaches and/ or parks. Thanks

Newbie here from Chicago. I Agree with the ethics code with my right hand on my Metal Detector handbook. Started out coin collectiing for my last 20 years. Looking for a good Metal Detector. Any ideas for a newbie? Mostly for beaches and/ or parks. Thanks

Depends on the kind of beaches. If you mean saltwater and you intend to hunt the water line or farther out, you need a pulse induction machine. The White's PI pro is supposed to be a good machine but I personally don't have one. (no real need for it) If it's just freshwater, all the current production White's machines have waterproof coils and could be used for water hunting. I use a Prizm V and love it! I have used it in water some but I am not a water hunter. Head over to Kellyco and check out what they have. They are one of our sponsors here on the FMDF! :D

Codes to follow

It is sad that the "me" generation is taking off and people have to be reminded of the Golden Rule of how to treat others. To bad schools cannot teach classes to parent on common sense. It wasn't until I got out of my truck the other day and saw what some inconsiderate MDer did to the a park lot that hit home what people on this forum have been saying about some giving us a bad name. I would sign the code of ethic as a condition of signing onto this site.

Depends on the kind of beaches. If you mean saltwater and you intend to hunt the water line or farther out, you need a pulse induction machine. The White's PI pro is supposed to be a good machine but I personally don't have one. (no real need for it) If it's just freshwater, all the current production White's machines have waterproof coils and could be used for water hunting. I use a Prizm V and love it! I have used it in water some but I am not a water hunter. Head over to Kellyco and check out what they have. They are one of our sponsors here on the FMDF! :D

Thank u

Back
Top Bottom