2nd Hunt Of The Year - Barber Half

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
I was out on my second hunt of the year doing more curbstriping with my buddy yesterday in the local area. On our first expedition to this area, I found 4 silvers. Yesterday, the weather was great and the ground was wet. The area hunted has obviously been cherry-picked in the past, leaving mostly wheat pennies. I was fortunate to find one Indian, but everything else was wheat, with a random sampling from every decade from the teens to the 50's. In total 18 wheat pennies. Nearing the end of the day we found a strip with some enormous big leaf maple trees adjacent to a large corner lot. Bagged another wheat, then finally the first silver of the day in the form of a Rosie. Proceeded further and within minutes had recovered a nice Merc. I would have been satisfied with that result for the day at that point, and the light was beginning to wane a bit, but there was still another section that was beckoning. Near the base of one of the trees, and likely near what was once the walkway from the sidewalk to the curb, I got a great 35-36 signal on my Nox. Cut a plug, and could see a large silver rim. It was only about 4-5" down and I thought it might be a Benjamin, but on closer examination, I could see stars! Hot dog, it had to be at least a Barber. Sure enough, it was a 1906D. Well worn, but still a great find, and a wonderful way to end the day. That made a total of 7 silvers in 2 outings.

As an aside, we also met a nice gentleman and his wife where our cars were parked. He said he had some Roman coins that he had unearthed at an archaeological site in Turkey 60 years ago, and was wondering if we could help him identify the coins. My buddy has some good contacts having expertise in ancient coins, and so offered to take the coins and have them identified. We really meet the nicest people when we are out detecting and from these folks we were also able to learn more about the history of the neighborhood since they had live there for 50 years and their house was originally a local mom and pop grocery store. Needless to say, we'll be searching that curbstrip very carefully now. Thanks for looking, GL & HH.

Attachments

• 20220113_160314.jpg
    20220113_160314.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 20220113_160414.jpg
    20220113_160414.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 544
  • 20220113_160349.jpg
    20220113_160349.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 20220113_190039.jpg
    20220113_190039.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 547
Holy Cow! That is a nice find, and more silvers and wheat cents too! Ahh... I think your silver totals will be very good this year, keep up that pace!

Great finds. I have never hunted curb strips. Do you get a lot of metallic junk like pop tops, pull tabs, can slaw, screw caps when hunting curb strips?

Congrats on the eye candy! But only a few things can say it better than some Big Barber silver...well done. This must be the year for the Barber coins too.

Thank you JAK. An eye popping surprise. I like to see people posting about Barber finds.

Congrats Gale

Thanks Paul. Fingers crossed for your outing Sunday.

I like the peak-a-boo in-situ reveal pose :)

Just for you. Thanks Tom.

Holy Cow! That is a nice find, and more silvers and wheat cents too! Ahh... I think your silver totals will be very good this year, keep up that pace!

Thanks David. I'm not sure I can keep up with this pace. Today I went out again, and the only silver I got was a cut Rosie. At least I got the bigger portion.

Great finds. I have never hunted curb strips. Do you get a lot of metallic junk like pop tops, pull tabs, can slaw, screw caps when hunting curb strips?

Thank you maxx. Curbstrips yield just about anything you can imagine. Particularly annoying are the nails. For some reason they just seem to collect there. You get used to digging a lot of junk, but that's the price for the occasional big reward. The nice thing is many times you get to meet the locals, which gives you the opportunity to ask for permission. If they see you're doing a good job leaving no trace behind, they often say yes.

Congrats Rainorshine! Sweet Barbđź‘Ť

Thanks metal. I would have been satisfied with the two dimes, but would never say no to a Barber half.

Fantastic story, great Barber half! And very cool to be helping that guy out w/ his old coins. Love that half... bucketlister...

Fantastic story, great Barber half! And very cool to be helping that guy out w/ his old coins. Love that half... bucketlister...

Thanks GS. We really enjoyed meeting the older couple, hearing the story about how he came by the coins, and also getting the lowdown on the local history of the area. The details regarding the coins should be interesting.

Stellar hunt! Congrats, I can't find a Barber half. I was talking to a buddy about it today. Maybe sooner or later I'll be able to mark it off my bucket list.

Goodnight RoS. A great save on another bucket lister. You guys seem to find a bunch of big silver up your way. Congrats to you and your buddy on some fine hunting with big shiny, little shiny Ihps and wheats. Also for spreading a little positive PR for the hobby. Hopefully I will dig a Barber half this year. Again congrats. Mark

Congrats on the barber half and all the rest! Great storyline and great pics!

Thank you Toad. Glad the ground was willing to cooperate in giving up the goods.

Stellar hunt! Congrats, I can't find a Barber half. I was talking to a buddy about it today. Maybe sooner or later I'll be able to mark it off my bucket list.

Thanks Longbow. It's been 4 years or so since I found my first and till this one, only Barber half. Biggest thing is just getting the coil on the ground as much as possible, and trying to get into areas where they are most likely to have been lost in the past. Fingers crossed for your first.

Goodnight RoS. A great save on another bucket lister. You guys seem to find a bunch of big silver up your way. Congrats to you and your buddy on some fine hunting with big shiny, little shiny Ihps and wheats. Also for spreading a little positive PR for the hobby. Hopefully I will dig a Barber half this year. Again congrats. Mark

Thanks for your comments Mark. Always appreciate your supportive posts. I hope you get your Barber half this year too!

Congrats on the Barber half. That one has proven to be a tough dig for me. Only one in seven years

Congrats on the three silvers and all the wheaties. It must have been a thrill to see that big silver in the hole.

Congratulations curb strips in Washington absolutely carry them. Great second hunt.

Thanks DTPNW. Hope your curbstripping pays off for you this year. Always enjoy reading your posts.

Congrats on the Barber half. That one has proven to be a tough dig for me. Only one in seven years

Thank you Toasted. Definitely a tough one to mark off the list. I just keep putting the coil to the soil and hoping.

Congrats on the three silvers and all the wheaties. It must have been a thrill to see that big silver in the hole.

Appreciate your comment. Yeah, very hard to remain focused during the rest of the hunt. I was just too wired from the experience.

Love the pics! Great finds

Thanks Tom.

Back
Top Bottom