1809 Half Cent - rotated die

Metaldiggr

I've been driving by a spot at the park that I've always thought looked like a home site. The other day while searching for something not related I found an online book that had property owners in my county. I checked the park and there was a house in the early 1800's in that spot. I went there yesterday without the detector and looked around. The book said it was a wood house, I couldn't find anything that made it the 200+ years. I did, however, find a pile of bricks that could of been from the chimney. I also found iron that was in the ground that looked like it was the steps leading up to the main door. Today I headed out with the detector. It's a bit of a hike down a ravine. I worked around the area and got plenty of hits, it's now definitely looking like a home site. I walked around to the left of the steps and hit a 12.43. I was getting a good many high hits that were trash so I was skeptical, I dug it and found this... 1809 Half Cent with a 145° die rotation.

Attachments

• 20210407_001235.jpg
    20210407_001235.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 20210407_001149.jpg
    20210407_001149.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 421
Good research, looks like it paid off. Congrats on the half cent. Lots more goodies lurking there. Good luck, Mark

Half cents are fun. Nice find! And yeah, did every good signal at that site.

It's quite surprising and a great example - success on the ground comes from hours in a library or online. I had a feeling too. I drove past this site and just had a feeling there was a house down in there hundreds of years ago. I did a chat with the librarian at the local college and she said they have dozens of these books with years of data. The reality is that ppl have lived in my area since shortly after the first Europeans came here.... you just have to find out where.

Sweet half-cent, and a nice clear date as a bonus. I love finding old coppers - it makes you pause for a minute and think how different the world was the last time somebody held that coin.

Very cool find. That would be enough to warrant digging those "iffy" signals, cause ya' just never know. Congrats! GL and HH.

Very cool find. That would be enough to warrant digging those "iffy" signals, cause ya' just never know. Congrats! GL and HH.

I'm heading back tomorrow after work, going to do a thorough sweep of the area. Turns out I found 2 other homesites in that general area that date back to the same period.

Tonight I'm heading to a place I spent a month researching when the ground was frozen, it was a Civil War skirmish site, small but really important. I'm going to come in on the Union side and work my way down to the creek where the confederates crossed. The Union only had local militia, they bought the time that was needed then fled. The confederates were battle-hardened the militia was boys. The Confederates stayed in town for a couple nights. I'm really stoke about this one but I really have no experience digging iron with my ctx. I don't think it'll be a problem but I typically pass over iron.

Nice find!
Those are so very rare in my neck of the woods for some reason. Can't wait to find one.

Back
Top Bottom