Help ID a large copper coin

DoctorWhy

I revisited an old homestead site on the Maine island were I live that over the past years has yielded several diverse coins, including a 1802 Draped Bust Cent, a couple Matron Cents, a 1863 "fatty" Indian Head, a 1850 Haitian 6-1/4 Centime coin and a 1814 Nova Scotia Half-Cent.

Today, this coin rang up in the mid-80's on my AT-Pro with 5"x8" coil.

The coin is copper, 1.13" (28.70 mm) in diameter and has "denticles" around the perimeter of both "Side 1" and "Side 2.

"Side 1" appears to have a sailing vessel, bow to the left, stern to the right, and sailing on a rolling sea. There may be a date, possibly 1850 at the 6-o'clock position, and the word "CURRENT" from the 4-o'clock to the 2-o'clock position.

"Side 2" appears to have a three masted sailing vessel, bow to the right, stern to the left. The letters "EDIT" appear from the 8-o'clock to the7-o'clock position.

At first, I thought it might be Canadian, given the sailing vessel, but don't Canadian coins usually have an image of the current monarch on the obverse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
--Bert

Attachments

• Unknown_Copper_Coin-sm.jpg
    Unknown_Copper_Coin-sm.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 226
I thought I'd repost my original found token along with a museum example so viewers could easily see the details in comparison.

Attachments

• HardTimesToken_1841_sm.jpg
    HardTimesToken_1841_sm.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 178
Back
Top Bottom